AIS Boot Manager - A bit off-topic

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

AIS Boot Manager - A bit off-topic

Post by Brian E »

I discovered AIS Boot Manager and downloaded it a few days ago, although not really knowing what would do or how I should use it. I'm not sure what I can use the floppy it has made for though. Since downloading the program, my PC has "thrown a wobbly" (it froze at the weekend and after switching off at the mains switch, all I get now is a blue screen saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"). I have tried everything I can think of so far to get it working again but so far no luck. I run Windows XP Home Edition and after booting into DOS from a Windows 98 startup disk, I tried to use the two files on the AIS Boot Manager floppy but it wouldn't do anything - perhaps it's not supposed to work like that. I haven't been able to boot from my recovery CD either, so until the manufacturer's support team get back to me, I guess I'm stuck.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

The boot menu editor was integrated with AISBackup a few releases ago under Tools / Edit Windows Boot Menu and Tools / Copy ot Menu to Bootable Diskette. It is designed to edit the boot menu or backup the boot menu files to diskette so that the PC may be re-booted in the event that the boot files got corrupted on the boot drive (usually C: drive). This option is particularly useful to users of multi-boot systems where they may accidentally on purpose re-install Windows 98 and then lose access to the NTFS resident Windows XP. The boot diskette will enable Windows XP to be booted so the ‘proper’ boot files can be restored from an AISBackup. Also see here: http://www.aiscl.co.uk/Fix%20a%20dual%20boot%20system.htm

I has a quick look in Google groups and the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME problem sounds a little more serious. If you can get access to the internet it may be worth you doing some research into the problem.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

I managed to get the problem resolved, mostly by what I discovered in Internet forums and partly by what I learnt from my support team/employer's IT staff.

I have written myself a procedure to follow in case of a repeat, although I have now loaded the recovery console on C:, so it should be slightly simpler in future. The procedure:-

1. Start the computer and hold down the DEL key until the setup menu appears.
2. Go into BIOS settings and make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot item (it will need to be changed from the normal hard disk drive option).
3. Save the change and then insert the recovery CD into the CD-ROM drive.
4. Switch off the computer.
5. Switch it back on again and watch for the message to press any key to boot from the CD. As soon as it appears, press any key.
6. The Windows setup screen will appear and load various items, after which it will ask whether you want to install Windows XP or repair an existing installation. Choose repair and wait for the C:\ prompt.
7. Type FIXBOOT at the C:\ prompt and wait until the process has finished.
8. Type CHKDSK /r at the prompt and wait until the process has finished.
9. Switch off the computer and then switch it back on again. Allow the PC to boot normally.
10. After a successful boot, remove the recovery CD and restart the computer, once again holding down the DEL key.
11. Enter the BIOS menu and change the first boot item back to the hard drive.
12. Save the settings, after which the PC should automatically reboot itself back into Windows.
Regards

Brian E