cd writer interface and reloading

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
msexton

cd writer interface and reloading

Post by msexton »

I am experiencing something that I think is a problem, let me know what if anything I can do. I have this experience with both versions of the new download.(ver 212 and ver 213).

Each time I backup, the program goes into a re-loading phase. I have to reload the disc and punch "retry" before the backup completes. this happens every time. It happens right after the program completes writing to the disc and before it "tests" the backed up files.

I have a feeling that I have the wrong interface selected. I saw this pop up on the screen once but could not find out how to select or search for the correct one.

Is this normal, or do I have to make some adjustments.

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

CD Writer interface

Post by Barry »

This information is for Users of Windows NT, 2000 & XP only.

The CD writer interface changed to allow improved backup to DVD. This new interface may need an interface called an ASPI driver which is provided in a dll called WNASPI32.DLL. We have shipped a version of WNASPI32.DLL with AISBackup, this may be installed by using the Tools / Prgram Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD Problems menu option, change the default AISBackup internal ASPI with the Binary Magics ASPI driver.

Unfortunately the troubleshoot routine is not working properly with the find option so we need to issue another version of AISBackup.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

I have been having problems with these latest builds as well (see my earlier post). I'll try this suggestion to see if it fixes the problem.
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

I was already using the Binary Magic setting so I have re-installed build 209 and the problem has gone away.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

ASPI Drivers

Post by Barry »

Have you tried build 213 with the AISBackup integrated ASPI drivers, i.e. without Binary Magics ASPI?

Check Help / About for the actual drivers used.

if possible the problem should be replicated here so that it can be fixed.

Is this a small backup adding a new session to a pre-used CD, please state -R or -RW?

Is this a new session been written to an erased CDRW?

Is the drive IDE or USB/FireWire?

I have reported the problem to the suppliers of AISBackup's CD/DVD writer interface.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Disc writing problem

Post by Barry »

I have run some tests on a version of XP with Service Pack 2 and I can confirm that new CD-R and CD-RW are causing problems. Pre-used CD-R and CD-RW seem to be working okay.

AISBackup has been updated to fix the problem and initial results look good (using Binary Magics ASPI 1.0.0.0.) Please let us know if you would be prepared to test this update?

Barry
Brian E

Re: Disc writing problem

Post by Brian E »

Barry wrote:I have run some tests on a version of XP with Service Pack 2 and I can confirm that new CD-R and CD-RW are causing problems. Pre-used CD-R and CD-RW seem to be working okay.

AISBackup has been updated to fix the problem and initial results look good (using Binary Magics ASPI 1.0.0.0.) Please let us know if you would be prepared to test this update?

Barry
Hi Barry

Yes, I'd be prepared to give it a go (since I am also having problems with build 209).
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

I've downloaded the test version of build 214. As it happens, my main backup CD was too full to add another increment, so I erased it and reset the backup to backup everything. It worked fine (although the CD no longer automatically ejected at the end of the backup, which was also happening with the problem builds). I'll see how it goes over the next few days and report back, but it's looking more optimistic.
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Build 214 reverted back to the same problem again this morning (when auto-updating the new backup from yesterday).
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Update

Post by Barry »

Will you confirm that this is using Binary Magics 1.0.0.0 please (Help / About)

Did the CD Eject / ReLoad?

The problem with the CD not ejecting at the end: Is Tools / Program Options / Auto Eject CDs when required checked?

I have just run another test: First session, shutdown, restart PC / Second Session to a CD-RW on both Windows XP Home SP1 and SP2. Both are working okay. Did your second session restart okay?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Program is set to Auto Eject CDs when required as it always has been (I've just checked and it's still ticked). Yes, Binary Magics is being used (according to the data that comes on screen when a backup is running). Another (much earlier) backup autoran OK this evening (if we ignore the non-ejecting issue) when it needed to add an increment. Very strange!
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Auto Eject CD's

Post by Barry »

Version 1.10 of AISBackup has been changed to re-initialise the CD writer if the CD is not recognised after creation, unfortunately this process re-set the drive letter so AISBackup no longer knew which drive to eject. This has been fixed and will be uploaded just as soon as the auto-run jobs, mentioned in your other forum thread, have been checked.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Build 215 seems to have solved this problem Barry. Thanks.
Regards

Brian E