Growing backup!

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Growing backup!

Post by Brian E »

As regular backups are made to a CR-RW, the available space on the disc gets smaller and smaller. Eventually I find that I have to erase the disc, reset the backup and start the whole process from the beginning. That's not much of a problem if the backup only occupies one disc, but for larger backups, it could be a "pain." Is there any way round this?
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Growing Backups: Re-start from a baseline backup

Post by Barry »

When he media is full AISBackup asks for a new blank disc to be loaded. AISBackup remembers where all the files are when you come to restore, for example if you restore file xyz AISBackup will ask you to load CD_01 or CD_02 depending on where it is.

If the backup is to CD or DVD when using a packet writing system we have enabled automatic pruning when using CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM, here you limit the number of sessions retained and AISBackup removes old versions of files automatically. This takes a long time as CD ad DVD are not to fast. This does not work when using the integrated CD/DVD writer.

An alternative option is to make a backup and when the next backup is run use a blank disc, keep backing up until this is full and then reset the backup back to session 1 using the Manage Backup / Undo Backups option. Using this method you always have a baseline full backup from where you can restart incremental backup sessions – this can save a lot of time.

To demonstrate this option I re-instated a 20 CD backup taken of a Windows ME build containing the entire AISBackup source and supporting software from 30 January 2003. Since January 2003 this Windows ME build has been re-built following a major PC upgrade. The current drive contains 8.2 GB and the next backup session based on the 30 January backup is 3.8 GB. Put another way 4.4GB (40,249 files) did not need to be backed up again. I ran the backup, but this time using a blank DVD+R as they take up less space.

Barry