Deleting backups

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Deleting backups

Post by Brian E »

I note that the method of deleting backups has changed with the latest build (the delete option seems to have been replaced with "remove backup from list"). What is the procedure now for completely deleting a backup?
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Remove Backup vs. Delete Backup

Post by Barry »

The old menu item Delete backup was really misnamed because it only removed the files from AISBackup and not the backup media itself unless you specifically responded YES to the ‘Remove the actual backup’ question.

AISBackup never physically deleted files from removable media such as CD because either the media is write once or AISBackup would have to ask for each media to be loaded.

Remove Backup is a better name; we still ask if the backup should be actually deleted for disk-based backups.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Thanks for this and your other replies to my recent questions.

When I "removed a backup from list" yesterday, I'm pretty sure that I wasn't asked whether the actual backup should be deleted as well, which I found surprising at the time as I had been asked if I wanted to do this before. Now I understand the reason (the other backups were not to removeable media).
Regards

Brian E