Backup Contents File created in newer version

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Chris

Backup Contents File created in newer version

Post by Chris »

Hello Barry,

I am having some trouble with when I try to load a backup job made to a networked computer. I get a message

The Backup Contents File was created ina newer version of Aisbackup. Do you want to create a new backup of this data?

I got this yesterday and clicked on yes at which point I had to re-backup 22gb which tied up my laptop for 24 hours. As I had just moved some hard drives around between computers I thought maybe that had caused it. But now, immediately after completion of the backup I get the message again, which doesn't really make much sense.

If I try to load job from backup media it stops before completing loading of the job with a message Please use latest version of Aisbackup.

I think this new behaviour since I started using version 1.9.206, though I would not swear to that, I have had to redo backups a couple of times but I think that was due to drive mapping errors.

All the best,m Chris
Barry
Site Admin

Error loading backup contents file

Post by Barry »

Hi Chris

Versions of AISBackup prior to 1.9 did not track when folders were created / deleted / re-created so if a dated session is selected all folders that ever existed on the drive were restored. Unfortunately, if for some reason a folder on the PC did not have a valid date AISBackup failed to load the backup contents file. This error was corrected in version 1.9.1:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

Please let us know if this corrects your problem, if not please send us a copy of the job files via the Help / Bug Report option.

Barry
Chris

Fixed, but now another one

Post by Chris »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. 1.9.1 successfully recognised the files already backed up so that's fine now.

I just went to Restore Files to check all was well and I cannot open the tree. I just see the job name with a plus next to it and no amount of clicking does anything. If I select a session its OK and if I search for a file its OK, with All Sessions selected it doesn't want to work.

All the best,
Chris
Barry
Site Admin

Restore problem

Post by Barry »

Hi Chris

We cannot replicate the Session / All Sessions problem here, will you send us the job files via the Help / Bug Report option please.

Thanks

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

All sessions possible solution.

Post by Barry »

Hi Chris

Thanks for sending us the backup contents file. From this we were able to determine that 12,558 of 123,214 have a null filename (‘’) which is invalid. The next version of AISBackup will automatically remove these files and suggest that a Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup is run.

The validate option reconciles differences between the files on the actual backup and the backup contents file.

Please let us know if the validate option fixes the problem, if not the next version of AISBackup will be available within a week or two.

I checked 53 backup jobs here containing 1.25million files without error so unfortunately I cannot comment as to the cause of the problem.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

Version 1.9.2 (pre-release) is available for download. Please confirm that this fixes the "null filename" files. This version is marked pre-release until all reported issues have been tested, although as we do not know the cause of the problem, and it has been fixed, this may be difficult to test.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/DownoadAISBackup.htm#Pre

Thank you.

Barry
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delay, I have been moving house.

I've now installed 1.9.2 and when I ran the backup job we have been discussing I got a message <12558 invalid file names removed...>

I did the backup and it backed up 700 or so files.

I then ran Validate Backup and no errors were reported (I did not test read the files, should I have done?) 126257 files inspected. Then I got a dialog asking to which disk drive I should add an orphan, I selected the network drive where the backup goes to. The next screen told me that 12558 missing files had been reinstated. 0 orphans added to drive "?" (that was the original suggested drive in the orphan dialog)

When I run the backup again, I am told that only 109651 files are already backed up (with 48 to be backed up).

When I select Restore from Backup, I see two folders, Lifebook C, which I would expect (and which I can now open up as normal, if you remember it was the inability to do so that started this thread off), and then I second one named "backups E on 192.168.0.1" which corresponds to the entry I suggested whither the orphans should be sent. Under that is a folder Windows which I am guessing might contain the 12558 "missing" files

My main concern is whether this backup job is good if needed in extremis to restore some or all my stuff. Can you reassure me?

Many thanks? Chris[/img]
Barry
Site Admin

Orphan Processing

Post by Barry »

The zip file format does not hold the original drive letter of files so any file that is found in a zip file without a corresponding entry in the backup contents file is marked as an orphan. These files should be reinstated to their original drive (hence the orphan question).

We realised that some people move files from one drive to another so we enabled the moving of files (only complete directory trees) from one drive to another, so the ‘e:’ drive files may be moved from “backups E on 192.168.0.1” back to C: by using the Manage Backup / Backup Maintenance option, jus right click “backups E on 192.168.0.1” and choose Move.

This process may cause duplicates to be removed from the backup contents file (i.e. files that are in “backups E on 192.168.0.1” and have been backed up again since.

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
Chris

Post by Chris »

OK, I've moved them back to C and all looks normal. Can I regard this backup as safe now, if it is called upon?

Many thanks, Chris
Barry
Site Admin

Backup Safe?

Post by Barry »

I would recommend that you run another backup session, in the unlikely case that there are missing files, then to be extra sure re-run the Manage Backup / Validate phase. Orphans should be added to drive C: (the orphans are most likely to be duplicate files on your backup caused by the original problem)

If you really want to be sure ………….

I would recommend that everybody tests a restore once I a while but for this you would need a spare disk, which are not too expensive.

Install the disk (probably as a slave to the existing disk, or if this is where the CD writer is, the master on IDE channel 2)

Format and ensure that this disk is set ACTIVE or you will not be able to boot from it.

Restore to the new drive.

If your motherboard allows booting from alternate drive adjust the CMOS settings and re-boot, if not ensure that the new disk is set to master and move the IDE cable from the original hard drive to the new drive taking care not to bend any pins (there is usually a blanked socket that corresponds to a missing pin on the actual disk).

Barry