Restore from ftp to NT4 server

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
tgtipton

Restore from ftp to NT4 server

Post by tgtipton »

I am currently evaluating this software for use on a NT 4 server. The server is on sp6a and is also running MS SQL 7. I have completed several backups successfully to a ftp server (Win2K, IIS). I decided to test out the recovery process and am having some trouble.

I reinstalled NT server and sp6a. Then reinstalled the backup software. I am able to connect to the ftp server (Tools/open job from ftp server), however when I select the backup job, it gives the error that the backup was incomplete. I did check the backups after they were done and there was no indication that there was a problem with the backup.

Running AIS version 1.9.1 209

1. Are there settings that I'm missing somewhere?
2. Can I make recovery CDs from the files that are backed up to the ftp server?

Thanks,
Tracie
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi

I just re-checked that AISBackup 1.9.1 is working between XP and a remote Linux FTP site. I deleted the backup locally then used the Open from FTP / Re-instate Backup options. I have also checked between Windows XP and FTP running on Server 2000 this is also working properly.

Please check that the following files exist on the FTP machine:

<jobname>_1.zip
<jobname>_2.zip etc

and

<jobname>.job.zip

The backup may be incomplete if one or more zip files did not upload to the FTP site correctly. It is possible to reconcile what is backed up by using the Manage Backup / Validate (test) backup option.

You should not need to do this but here is how to manually re-instate the backup:

If the job already exists delete the job using the Manage Backup / Delete option, do not delete the existing backup.
Copy all of the AISBackup files from the FTP site to any local folder.
Unzip the <jobname>.job.zip file to the same folder.
Use the Manage Backup / Open Job from Backup Media option.
Test the backup using the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option.

Unfortunately this backup cannot easily be copied to CD, we need to fix this.

If you can make the backup available on an FTP server that we can access please e-mail us the logon credentials. We can also look at what is happening via TightVNC if you would like to arrange this, again please e-mail us the TightVNC server settings:
www.tightvnc.com e.g. ip address / password / port setting etc.

Barry
tgtipton

RE: Restore from ftp to NT4 server

Post by tgtipton »

When I go through the process of validating the backup(extracting the job.zip file and opening the bdb file), I get the error message that the file is not an AIS backup contents file. I also tried importing the backup, but received the error that the backup content file is corrupt. However, I do have a backup using the previous version of AIS (I think build 1.9.0) and it loads just fine. I updated to 1.9.1 because of getting access violation errors.

I looked through the zip files and found the logs for backup and realized that I wasn't backing up the local backup directory ... are there files located in there that would be required for restore? I assumed that all the required files would be moved to the ftp server.

At this point, I cannot give access to our ftp site - it's a long drawn out approval process. I could probably send you specific files if you would like to look at them.

Do you think that there will be an option to make a restore CD from the ftp files in the future?

Thanks.
~Tracie
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problem

Post by Barry »

There is a problem in version 1.9 when folders do not have the date modified set, this is fixed in version 1.9.1. This problem does cause the 'this is not a backup contents file' message. If you can send us the ftp backup contents file <jobname>.job.zip I will test it here. If your contents of the backup is not confidential then please also send us the first couple of backup zip files too.

Please also try a small backup / Delete / Open Backup from ftp server / Restore to confirm that AISBackup is working.

Please send the backup and password via e-mail to barry@aiscl.co.uk

There are quite a few people using ftp backups so I am sure we will sort out this problem quite soon.

Thanks

Barry
tgtipton

ftp NT restore

Post by tgtipton »

I have sent the files you requested. Also, ran a small backup and restored w/out any issues (just a couple of directories). I'm running another full backup to see what the results are.

Thanks for your help.
Tracie
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Backup: Problem identified

Post by Barry »

I am pretty sure the problem has been identified.

In version 1.9 we introduced backup and restore of NTFS security settings, unfortunately the ftp job files are retrieved from the ftp server incorrectly when this option is set - they just look corrupt to AISBackup where as there is nothing wrong with them.

Basically your existing backup is okay but you cannot restore from it until we release an update. Meanwhile if you uncheck the NTFS security settings the backup will work.

You appear to be backing up a large amount of data via ftp, perhaps a backup to the same server via a network share would be more efficient, the backup of security settings will also work with the current version of AISBackup.

We have also enabled copying ftp backups to CD.

A fix should be ready within 14 days.

Barry
tgtipton

ftp NT restore

Post by tgtipton »

I appreciate your quick response!

I will test the backup and restore without the NTFS setting checked and let you know the results.

I am using FTP because this is a test situation that will be replicated to a server that is not on our network - so we can't use drive mappings.

The CD option will be helpful too, so that we can mail them to the location in the event of a failure of some sort.

Thanks again!
~Tracie
tgtipton

Backup/Restore over FTP

Post by tgtipton »

Just checking back to see if an update was available yet. I did test out the backup w/out the NTFS option selected and the restore was good (over FTP). Same test w/NTFS option selected and the failed results were the same.

Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP

Post by Barry »

Hi

We are very close to the next release. This release has improved support for backup to DVD so requires a lot of testing. I may be able to arrange an interim release if you are interested.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problem (NTFS Security Settings)

Post by Barry »

Hi

Version 1.9.2 (pre-release) is available for download. Please confirm that this fixes the FTP bug. This version is marked pre-release until all reported issues have been tested.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/DownoadAISBackup.htm#Pre

Thank you.

Barry
tgtipton

FTP - NTFS problem

Post by tgtipton »

This new release has fixed the problem that I was having with restoring a backup with NTFS permissions enabled over FTP.

Thanks!
Tracie