Use of Backup with Norton Antivirus and Firewall a

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Trevor Cave

Use of Backup with Norton Antivirus and Firewall active

Post by Trevor Cave »

Hi

I am getting a lot of Zip file read errors and failed tests at the moment. If I switch off Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall while I do the backup, there seems to be no trouble. Is this normal?

I am using AIS ver 1.9 on Windows XP Home. Both Windows and the Norton programs are regularly updated.

I notice that the backup program often pauses for a virus check of the zip files during the backu up itself if NAV is left on, so I assumed it was the right thing to do.

Thanks

Trevor :?
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and anti-virus software

Post by Barry »

Hi

The best way to use AISBackup with some anti-virus software is to change the file extension to something other than zip and exclude this file type from the virus-checking software. Unfortunately you will have to create a new job (based on the existing job) to do this.

Example:

Look at AISBackup: Tools / Program Options / Advanced / Default Backup File Extension / type: azp.

and

Norton AntiVirus: Auto-Protect / Exclusions / New / *.azp / OK

AISBackup prior to version 1.9 used to create a temporary zip file that would have been virus checked because the file extension was set randomly by the third party interface we used. The zip process was completely re-written for version 1.9 and no longer uses the temporary file.

Barry
Trevor Cave

Post by Trevor Cave »

Thanks Barry. I have now tried that, unfortunately with no better results.
I have since tried running the program with all other programs closed , all virus checkers etc closed down. I am still getting a lot of errors.
Once before when this happened with an earlier version you asked for the log file. I have "log everything" turned on - shall I send it to you?

Incidentally, I find that there are several of the zip files in the set which have the same numbers, though on different disks. Is this normal?
Thanks for your interest

Trevor javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Barry
Site Admin

CD writer problems

Post by Barry »

Hi

Please send us the <job>.log file, we do not need a full log because the standard log contains the errors.

Please also read the forum thread by Nick entitled XP Problems2.

The duplicate names are caused by the failures. The duplicate filenames on prior CD’s that failed the restore test are re-used by the next backup.

I have checked the availability of a Firmware update to your Teac CDW548E 1.05, but there isn’t one.

Barry
Trevor Cave

Post by Trevor Cave »

Thanks Barry

I have read the correspondance with Nick, run validate/test, and emailed you the log file.

I will continue trying. I notice that, like Nick, I get some sessions when everything goes swimmingly and others which produce mass errors. I don't think mine can be faulty disks, though, because it is too frequent and I am using the same disks I have always used.

Hope you can help as I really like the program.

Thanks again

Trevor
HarryStox

Even installing 1.9.1 with Norton Antivirus active fails

Post by HarryStox »

Hi,

The following issue is possibly related to this problem. Being a happy AISBackup user I recommended an AISBackup trial to a friend.

When installing 1.9.1 on his system, Windows XP Home with Norton Antivirus 2004 active, on first run AISBackup kept on redrawing the main window while grabbing the mouse focus instead of showing the cue cards. Hence it was nearly impossible to kill AISBackup using the task manager. He was logged on with administrative rights.

Having tried AISBackup on an number of systems, this was the first one showing this problem. I never used it on a system with Norton Antivirus 2004, so there might be a correlation.

Can you confirm this erratic behaviour with 1.9.1 when installing on a system with NAV? What can I do to circumvent it? (Disabling NAV is not an option.) I haven't tried installing an older version yet.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Harry Stox.
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup with NAV2004

Post by Barry »

Hi

There is not problem running AISBackup with NAV2004 except NAV wants to virus check each AISBackup zip file as soon as it is created, this considerably increases backup time.

A workaround is to exclude zip files from automatic checking, but this is not desirable because some e-mailed zip files contain viruses. A better solution is to change the extension of the AISBackup zip files to something like .azp and exclude .azp files from NAV (or any other automatic anti-virus software). To do this from NAV use the following option:

Options / Expand Auto Protect / Exclusions / New / .azp / OK / OK

To always create new backup jobs using the .azp extension:

Tools / Program Options / Advanced / Default Backup File Extension / azp.

Running AISBackup Problem

I do not know the reason why the install failed, if you still suspect NAV you could disable NAV just before running AISBackup for the first time, and then re-enable NAV to re-check AISBackup once more. Your findings did show a problem with our un-install routine, this does not de-register the Cue Card, and this is fixed with the next release of AISBackup.

To de-register the Cue Card server (before un-installing AISBackup):

Start / Run / "c:\program files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\aiscuecards" /unregserver

Have you tried running AISBackup on this PC more than once?

Failing to create CD backups.

The next version of AISBackup (1.9.2) includes a new Disc writer, which may fix problems writing CD’s and DVD’s, although I still think this is a media problem. We usually test AISBackup with the cheapest 52* CD-R we can purchase. The write speed on virtually all CD-RW media must be reduced after the first write.

From release 1.9.2 of AISBackup the integrated disc writer fully supports multi session writing to DVD+RW and DVD-RW on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, 2003 & XP, additionally DVD-R and DVD+R on Windows XP.

Barry
HarryStox

Post by HarryStox »

Have you tried running AISBackup on this PC more than once?
I recommended AISBackup to them some time ago, but according to them they never tried it out. Now that you mention it, I remember seing a "trial period expired" window on first run, so I chose re-trial.

Is there a way to unregister the cue cards manually after having deinstalled AISBackup 1.9.1?
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

The cue card program must be installed to enable it to unregister itself, the process is:

Install AISBackup.

Just copy and paste "c:\program files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\aiscuecards" /unregserver[/b] to the Start / Run command line.

and then uninstall AISBackup once more.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

CD Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi

Version 1.9.2 (pre-release) is available for download. This version uses a new Disc writer interface which may improve matters with Trevor's disc writer. This version is marked pre-release until all reported issues have been tested.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/DownoadAISBackup.htm#Pre

Thank you.

Barry