"Failed to erase CD" message

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

"Failed to erase CD" message

Post by Hughg »

I've got AISBackup on a new installation -- my old 600MHz warhorse has finally been retired -- and I'm finding that, on a long backup (16 CDRWs), every few disks the job fails. I'm re-using disks, so I set it to erase the disk and then automatically continue (that feature is a great boon, by the way), and after the erase has been running for a bit I get the above message ("Failed to erase CD"). At this point AISBackup seems to have lost contact with the CD writer (I'm using the AISBackup CD Writer Interface). The "eject" button doesn't do anything, and if I abort and relaunch the job AISBackup fails to see the disk in the drive. If I close AISBackup and relaunch it, it re-establishes contact with the drive and the backup progresses normally until the next time (which could be the next disk, or it could be several disks further on). Any suggestions?

Cheers
Hugh
Barry
Site Admin

Erase CD

Post by Barry »

I have just been erasing some CD's and I have found that it is possible for the CD writer form to appear behind the Load media form, this will stop the load media form responding. The Load media form is now moved (next release) off screen until the CD writer form (erase form) finishes.

There is a thread running called XP Problems2 where Nick is having problems with CD-RW, I think in your case the new CD writer may be faster than the previous? but the existing media is not working too well with this, you could try reducingthe write speed.

I have suggested to Nick that a CD-R backup he has taken now is used as a base line for future backups, but rather than repeat myself here please read my post to Nick.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

I'll check for the form-behind-a-form possibility: I know what you mean, and that could well have been part of the problem.

Actually, the CD writer didn't change; it was the motherboard that was upgraded. And I'm usually careful to pick a slow speed (4X) on disks that can record faster (10x). So I don't think that's the problem.

I've gone through the thread about Nick's problem, and again I take your point. However, I get what seems to be reproducible behaviour which differs somewhat from Nick's. If I get the "Failed to erase CD" message, and I abort and restart the backup, I continue to get the message. If I close AISBackup and relaunch it, the backup continues normally. Well, I'll continue to keep an eye on it and see if I spot anything else going on.

Hugh