not un mapping drives

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
powellnet

not un mapping drives

Post by powellnet »

I've been using AIS backup from my system to backup a server to a NAS device for about a month and all has been fine Until! When I reboot my system it does not always show that a mapped drive is available even though the shares are available, All you need do is click on the drive icon and the red wires get changed to black an all is well. This is not the problem just the enviorment that started this problem. so a week ago I needed to reboot my system which created the red wires and when the backup started for an unattended backup the log stated ([drive:] mapped to [shared resource]) witch was different than the original mapped drive letters that I have configured and completed it's backup. When I checked my system the next day I had new drives mapped to old locations with new drive letters But when I tried to disconnect them it gives me an error stating network connection cannot be found even though when I browse the connection everything works correctly. This has now taken up all available drive letters and has stopped being able to perform backups the only error in the log is missing shares then cannot map backup destination aborting then finnally failed to map network drives. When I reboot my system again the new shares will not be reconnected but some times I'm not here to do that. Is this a bug? Is there a fix?
Barry
Site Admin

Network shares

Post by Barry »

Which version of AISBackup are you using?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Network share mapping

Post by Barry »

Hi

Build 204 of AISBackup has been uploaded, this version includes dynamic re-mapping of network drives using the same free drive letter where possible.

You may have to disconnect all redundant shares prior to the next backup. I have noticed that some shares do not appear in Explorer but may be disconnected via the menu option Tools / Disconnect Network Drive.

Please let us know if this fixes the problem:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

Barry
powellnet

getting there

Post by powellnet »

HI, Barry
Thanks for the reply,

I was not running build 204, so I downloaded it and install over my old version. This is what happened, the un-mapping of drives is now working but when I come in the morning to check the logs I get a message that states AISBackup is already running.

"Only one copy of AISBackup may run at a time.
AISBackup was issued with the following parameters, these have not been run:"

This is a copy and paste from the message there are no parameters or statements following the ":" to be able to view the logs I have to start task manager and locate the exe file under processes and end the process, in the logs for 3 of the 4 jobs I have scheduled state,

8:35:02 PM SSTART Backup Session Auto Run: Started on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 8:35:02 PM
8:35:02 PM PARS Run Time Parameters: FYYYYYYY
8:35:13 PM NOTE Creating Session: 72
8:35:13 PM NOTE AISBackup is running non-interactively and will close down if user input is required.
8:35:13 PM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\
8:35:13 PM NET Network source drive shares:
8:35:13 PM NET M: mapped to \\bvscnt01\C\
8:35:13 PM NET L: mapped to \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\
8:35:13 PM INF Backing up: 37 Files of 237.00 Megabytes
8:35:13 PM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:35:13 PM INF Already on Backup: 1,744 Files

This is a cut and paste from the log (there is more in the log but they are not related to the issue as they are showing normal operation) the other 2 logs are similar but with different drive letters being mapped for their shares and they all give a completed without errors

This is the 1 log that is different

8:26:58 AM SSTART Backup Session: 75 Started on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 8:26:58 AM (1.9)
8:26:58 AM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\marketing\marketing.zip
8:26:58 AM NOTE Test Method: File Integrity Method.
8:26:58 AM INF backing up: 23 Files of 41.00 Megabytes
8:26:58 AM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:26:58 AM INF Already on Backup: 17,324 Files

When I created the jobs the destination and the source drives were and still are mapped network shares to the same drive letters as when I configured them on this system and when I configured the jobs I told it to use those shares. Hope this helps.

This in it's self is not a big deal if the software will run the next night if I do not stop the process in the morning. Which I will find out on Thursday when I get back from two days off.

Also can I re-create the jobs with out losing the originals and have to start over. If I cannot I would like to move the original backups to my burner for archives and have yet been able to do that is this possible?

Re-creating the jobs without having to re-create the backup files is my first choice just because of time constraints and bandwidth. (There are other jobs happening on other servers at the same time) this only becomes an issue when the backups are being first created. It takes Aprox. Three nights of allowing them to running in sequence for two hours each to my NAS. Then there is Aprox. 30 to 50 min free between jobs scheduled an hour apart.
Barry
Site Admin

Mapping & unmapping

Post by Barry »

Hi

AISBackup only maps and un-maps drives that are not pre-mapped, where possible AISBackup will try and re-map the last available drive, normally Z:. Unfortunately there is a problem with build 204 when the last drive is left mapped and the prior drive (Y:) swapped from then on - in a multi network drive backup. AISBackup must map all drives simultaneously when restoring so the number of network shares per backup job is limited. More than one job may be scheduled using Tools / Auto Running AISBackup option, each will run in turn to overcome any scheduling timing problems.

Perhaps the ‘one copy of AISBackup may run at a time’ problem may have been the result of an overlap?

The Copy backup to CD option may be used, although if you want to copy the backup to DVD it is better to use the Change Backup Destination problem to copy the backup to DVD’s formatted for packet writing. Just delete the backup job, without deleting the actual backup and use the Tools / Load Job From Backup Media to re-instate the disk backup.

The mapping problem has been fixed in build 205 but this needs more testing before it is uploaded.

Barry
powellnet

Post by powellnet »

Hi Barry

In my senerio for this system I have 4 jobs running scheduled aprox 1 hr apart and

it only takes about 1 to 2 min to run. when I get the "can only run one copy" error is

when I come into work and try to view the logs and I have to go to task manager and shut

down the process manually before I can view the logs.

I also noticed that the backups were not running so I started AIS manually and the backup

ran without error in the backup log.

So I deleted the events from task scheduler and deleted the jobs from AIS without

deleteing the backup files. Then I went to tools and opened job from backup media then it

asked me if I wanted to reinstate the backup I checked yes then I went to manage backup

and clicked autorun this backup clicked new job added time and user clicked ok then

checked scheduler and the new job was there. I repeated this for the remaining 3 jobs.

So then I tried to run it through scheduler and it started AISBACKUP.exe and notepad.exe

as services and that was it. I let it run for a while (a couple minutes, average

completion less than a minute) and then ended the task manually I Then checked the job's

backup log and then the job summary log and AIS did'nt even know it had been started.Logs

were blank.

I then ran all the jobs manually checking the backup log for each as they completed and

it stated they had completed without any errors.

Then I noticed that I was getting get these errors (check copy of log below) at the

beginning of all the jobs in the job summary log not the backup log.

I'm not sure if this existed before the upgrade, I have 3 servers running the backup

software this is the only one that was/is giving me problems it is also the only one that

has been upgraded to build 204 I checked the other summary logs and these errors do not

exist.

This is a copy of the job summary log from the problem system I ran each job manually I

get no log entry for scheduler started events.

start Job 1
****************************************************************************************
8:16:40 AM START AISBackup started: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:16:40 AM
8:16:40 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:16:40 AM EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
8:16:46 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:16:46 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
8:16:56 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:16:56 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
JOB adpetime
******************************************************************************************

8:17:38 AM SSTART Backup Session: 11 Started on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 8:17:38

AM (1.9)
8:17:38 AM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\adpetime\adpetime.zip
8:17:38 AM INF Backing up: 12 Files of 83.00 Megabytes
8:17:38 AM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:17:38 AM INF Already on Backup: 1,471 Files
8:17:57 AM NOTE 12 Files were backed up and tested successfully
8:17:59 AM SESSEND Backup Session Ended: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:17:59 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end of job 1

start Job 2
***************************************************************************************
8:18:01 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:18:01 AM EXCEPTION Component: btnBackup
8:18:04 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:18:04 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
JOB great plains
***************************************************************************************
8:18:24 AM SSTART Backup Session: 75 Started on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 8:18:24

AM (1.9)
8:18:24 AM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\greatplains\great plains.zip
8:18:24 AM INF Backing up: 7 Files of 27.00 Megabytes
8:18:24 AM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:18:24 AM INF Already on Backup: 1,774 Files
8:18:40 AM NOTE 7 Files were backed up and tested successfully
8:18:41 AM SESSEND Backup Session Ended: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:18:41 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end of job 2

start Job 3
*****************************************************************************************
8:18:43 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:18:43 AM EXCEPTION Component: btnBackup
8:18:47 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:18:47 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
JOB marketing
******************************************************************************************
8:29:44 AM SSTART Backup Session: 79 Started on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 8:29:44

AM (1.9)
8:29:44 AM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\marketing\marketing.zip
8:29:44 AM INF Backing up: 12 Files of 41.00 Megabytes
8:29:44 AM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:29:44 AM INF Already on Backup: 17,342 Files
8:30:24 AM NOTE 12 Files were backed up and tested successfully
8:30:36 AM SESSEND Backup Session Ended: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:30:36 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end of job 3

start Job 4
8:30:38 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:30:38 AM EXCEPTION Component: btnBackup
8:30:41 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:30:41 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
JOB userfiles2
8:34:30 AM SSTART Backup Session: 13 Started on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 8:34:30

AM (1.9)
8:34:30 AM DEST Backup destination: \\bearbu\bvcsnt01\userfiles2\userfiles2.zip
8:34:30 AM INF Backing up: 1 Files of 0.00 Megabytes
8:34:30 AM INF Ignoring: 0 Files
8:34:30 AM INF Already on Backup: 15,272 Files
8:34:31 AM NOTE 1 File were backed up and tested successfully
8:34:33 AM SESSEND Backup Session Ended: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:34:33 AM

end of job 4

shuting down AIS
8:34:35 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:34:35 AM EXCEPTION Component: btnBackup
8:34:38 AM SESSEND AISBackup Session Finished: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:34:38 AM

restarting AIS to copy this log
8:37:33 AM START AISBackup started: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:37:33 AM
8:37:33 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:37:33 AM EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
8:42:01 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:42:01 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
8:42:06 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:42:06 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
8:42:19 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
8:42:19 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
9:35:09 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (-1)
9:35:09 AM EXCEPTION Component: AISPanel2
End of log

I hope this helps I need to find a resolution before the fifth of may as that it when I am

leaving for two weeks and the files that this backup collects are changed daily.

Thanks

Mitch
Barry
Site Admin

Auto running errors

Post by Barry »

Hi

To avoid the possibility of job overlap they could all be run from the same schedule, see Tools / Auto Runing AISBackup. Add all 4 jobs to the list, adjust the parameters (you may not want to run all of them each day), and then create one MS schedule.

The list index out of bounds has not been replicated here, will you export and send us the AISBackup registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup please. (Start / Run /RegEdit / Right click the above key / Export). It is also possible that the fist job in the list (alphabetically) is causing the problem so can you send us the <job>.buz and <job>.bdb files for this job please. You may test the 'first job' fault scenario by creating a simple job called 0 (zero) and then checking for the List index problem.

Barry
powellnet

moving forward

Post by powellnet »

hello, OK I tried the tool you suggested (Nice Tool did'nt know it was there) and I get the same results AIS starts as services Aisbackup.exe and notepad.exe I can just load task manager and end services or I can load schedualed tasks and end the task. But no matter how long it runs it never finishes until the run time of the task is exceeded if schedualed tasks shutdown because of time exceeded it will shut down the services. Also AIS does not show in anything in the backup log for the job but in the job summary log it shows that the software was started but it shows the same errors as before in the job summary log but does not record the stut down of the software.

The errors that I sent you were from manually started backups and only appear in the job summary log not the backup log

I looked for a way to attach the requested files but did not find it at the posting of this message so if you send an email i will forward them along

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

Job files

Post by Barry »

Hi

Please forward all the job files for these auto-run jobs (you could zip up AISBackup/Database if it is not too big), please also copy and paste the Auto Run command line parameters. The e-mail address for bug reports is:

bugreport@aiscl.co.uk

AISBackup is due for a release soon, this problem should identified and rectified first.

AISBackup does not run as a service, I suspect it has hung. Notepad should be visible, this does not run as a service either. Notepad will appear to hang if it is run under an account name that is not logged on. Is this the possible? Was your account logged on when AISBackup started running?

If notepad is run under a user that is not logged on the task will run until Windows is re-loaded or the task manually closed. AISBackup should not be running notepad if it is running non-interactively. A temporary work-around for this is to suppress completion messages (Tools / Auto Running AISBackup).

Thanks

Barry
powellnet

moving forward

Post by powellnet »

copy of email message text to keep forum thread

Ok this is what I mean by as a service, When I'm looking at task manager in windows 2000 pro It shows two types of activity one applications and two processes. the way it was explained to me was, Applications were programs run within the shell API (for user inter-activity giving input, receiving prompts etc.) and processes were programs run outside of the shell API or as a "service" where the only available user inter-activity is a hard user shutdown. So when I start AIS backup from my desktop I get two entries in task manager one AIS.exe in the applications windows and one AIS.exe in the processes window. When Scheduled tasks starts AIS backup I get only one AIS.exe entry in the processes window. Sorry for the confusion standard terminology only exist in text books {:-). Also if this generalization is all wet please send a more accurate one, "Knowledge is King and accurate information is the reason were here!" Quote from an instructor {:-)

Relinquishing the podium now. The programs are running under the logged on account (administrators) "verified" I turned off the completion message and forced scheduler to run and the response was the same except there was no notepad in the processes window just AIS.exe. Still had to shut it down and the backup never started How about deleting the backup jobs without deleting the files and uninstalling the program then reinstalling a fresh copy and reinstating the backups from the archives? Will this cause the backups to be unusable or any other devastating activity? What do ya think?
Barry
Site Admin

Auto-run temporary resolution

Post by Barry »

Hi Mitch

The problems have been identified and corrected in the ‘next’ version of AISBackup (from build 205).

Version 1.9 of AISBackup does not like ‘no’ exceptions. A quick test with previous versions of AISBackup show that ‘No exceptions’ is okay.

A workaround (prior to the next upload of AISBackup) is to add an exclusion that does not exist in the backup, e.g. a folder called \I_Do_not_exist. (Manage Backup / Modify Files and Folders List / Exclusions Tab).

The set-up of your auto-run jobs will only run each job once per day, if you would like to enable multiple job schedules remove the |O parameter from each command line parameter.

This bug is the reason for the Exception error messages in the log file.

Please let us know if this enables your scheduled backups.

Barry
powellnet

Post by powellnet »

Hi Barry
Well the change to the exception list worked it removed the errors from the log.

Also I only want th jobs to run once a day so the schedule configuration is correct. But

the automatic running through scheduled task is still not working so I tried a few things,

First I tried to run it from the command line

This command run from the command line does not work. This was cut and pasted to the run

command from the AIS auto running AISbackup menu choice.

[b]command string 1[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" adpetime|O "great
plains|O" marketing|O userfiles2|O[/quote]

This command run from the command line works. I edited it to read this way in the run

command window.

[b]command string 2[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" adpetime|M great
plains|M marketing|M userfiles2|M[/quote]

This command run from the command line does not work also an edited command.

[b]command string 3[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" userfiles2|O[/quote]

This command run from the command line does not work also an edited command

[b]command string 4[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" adpetime|O great
plains|O marketing|O userfiles2|O[/quote]

This command run from the command line works also an edited command

[b]command string 5[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" userfiles2|M[/quote]

Next I tried creating a shortcut from AIS backup and this ran normally it's command line is below.

[b]command string 6[/b]
[quote]"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" adpetime|MZ "great
plains|MZ" marketing|MZ userfiles2|MZ[/quote]

So I cut and pasted command string 2 into scheduled tasks and it did not work so I tried command string 6 into scheduled task command window and tried running it from scheduled task run now command and it worked! But every time I try to recreate the scheduled task from AIS backup it fails and it creates the command string 1. So I left my command string
6 in my scheduled task and will see what happens in the morning. Hope this helps