XP Problems

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Nick

XP Problems

Post by Nick »

DELL 8100 Dimension, P4/128MB RAM, with 2 CD-RW’s; the 1st is ASUS CRW-5232AS 1.0 and the 2nd is NEC NR-7800A 1.07. The CD-RW media I use is a Memorex 700 MB, 16X-24X. My C:\ drive is 40GB and my D:\ is 6GB

I just finished fine tuning my dual boot system (WindowsXP on C:\ and WinME on D:\) and I run into a problem with AISBackup 1.9.

I tried to backup my WinXP system on C:\. I manually selected the C:\Windows folder and my C:\Documents & Settings folders. The backup started and indicated 1.292GB size for 9653 Files. AISBackup never asked for a 2nd CD which I was expecting to ask. When the program was at the stage of “closing track” it stopped responding and I had to abort.

I tried another “Sample” backup of 240MB / 1067 files and the same problem happened again. I noticed that when the program was writing on the CD, above the “Write progress indicator” indicated a size of 97.91 MB whereas my backup was actually 240MB

I have tried the above with both my NEC & ASUS CD-RW’s and I get the same problem. I also have the NERO 6.0 software and this works fine to write to the CD on both NEC & ASUS.

I also got a worst problem when I boot to WinMe (I had installed another copy of AISBackup under WinME but I removed it after to see the results). At the end of the backup process I got a blue color trouble screen saying that it could not find drive E:\ and I had to reboot.
Prior to installing WindowsXP, AISBackup was working flawless on my WinME.

I re installed AISBackup but did not resolve my problem
Thank you for your help
Barry
Site Admin

XP CD Problems: Possible solution.

Post by Barry »

Hi Nick

Did you receive the e-mail reply?

By default AISBackup compresses data to about half its original size, although some files cannot be compressed.

The CD write problem may be attributed to the ASPI layer, this is the interface between AISBackup and the physical CD writer. The Tools / Options / Troubleshoot CD / DVD problems. Click Find to get AISBackup to search for suitable ASPI drivers. As a last resort use the 'internal aspi layer', this often works.

Is E: your CD Writer?

Have you installed XP service pack 1? It may be worth doing so.

If nothing changed in Windows ME I would not have expected it to start going wrong. Are you sharing operating system components, e.g. Roxio, between XP & ME?

XP only installs boot files to the Windows ME (C:) drive, have you got a full backup of ME when it was working okay?

Barry
Nick

XP Problems

Post by Nick »

Thank you Barry for the fast responce, and here are the answers: Yes E: & F: are my CD writes. I have installed XP service pack 1a. No I'm not sharing operating system components between XP/ME. Yes when I had only WinME I made many system/data backups & I love AISBackup & the BootManager software - excellent work. However, the problems I had with AISBackup are gone now. I don’t know if what I did had any relation but for your info here it is. On WindowsXP, I had noticed that the error reports were referring to a lot of “checksum errors”. So I did a backup without file checking and it was successful. I also configure the autoplay of both CD’s to “open folder to view files using windows explorer” (before it was set by default to media player), plus AISBackup was defaulting to 16x speed and I set it to 24x (Max). Then I did another one with file checking and it was also successful. I have done 4 small backups since and they all worked fine.
On WinME, I changed the default C:\Backup directory to D:\Backup. I also changed the default speed as per above and now WinMe does not crash.
Thank you again for your time
Cheers