Finding out which files DIDN'T get backed up.

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
browning

Finding out which files DIDN'T get backed up.

Post by browning »

Simple question here,though I've spent quite a bit of time hunting the answer without success. My backup when completed tells me that 6 files were not able to be backed-up.

How do I see which files they were?

I almost positive they're system files of some sort that I don't particularly care if they get backed up on my daily back-up. (That's e-mail, work, projects & the like).

Thanks,

Browning>>>
Barry
Site Admin

Files that failed to backup.

Post by Barry »

Files that failed to backup may be displayed by clicking Errors on the Comment form displayed when the backup is complete, although this form is not displayed if auto-running AISBackup. To list the errors at any time after the backup use the View / Backup Log menu option.

Barry
mms02

Files not backed up - outlook.pst

Post by mms02 »

Hi - backup works well for me with one concern which I would appreciate some advice about please.

I can see the errors tab and drill down to the problem - my outlook.pst file is not backing up apparently. Outlook is not running so I'm wondering what the problem is.

Help says:
"AISBackup was able to access the file but unable to read it successfully, Outlook personal folders files and some log files fall into this category."

Does this mean that I can't backup outlook - this would be a bit of a problem for me!

Mark
Barry
Site Admin

Problems backing up outlook.pst

Post by Barry »

It would be a huge problem for us if outlook.pst could not be backed up, so we were keen to get that working :!:

The problem here is that Outlook occasionally does not close down properly, even if it cannot be seen on the display. There are a couple of reasons for this:

Outlook did not close down properly in error.

Another process (program) is using Outlook via its COM interface.

To check if outlook is running press ctrl, alt & delete and look at the content of the processes tab, if Outlook.exe is there it is still running. You may right click and choose End Process to force outlook to close (if you think it is running in error).

Try a Google search on “outlook.exe running after closing”, the first in the list is a site which lists a few programs known to keep outlook.exe running:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htm

Barry
mms02

Problem solved!

Post by mms02 »

Barry
Thanks for the prompt response. I didn't think that there would be a problem. I did a little digging using task manager and sure enough there was some stuff left over from Outlook.
After a few reboots and a bit of messing about, what works for me is to run backup after a reboot but before I start Outlook. Having done this then all is well and no file errors reported. I'm not a fan of killing processes without good reason when a reboot will do. So, I'm happy that there's no issue with Backup.
Thanks

Mark