Version Compatibilty

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
doubleb

Version Compatibilty

Post by doubleb »

Barry:
I am a bit confused about the compatability of the different versions. I am using build 200 and would like to install build 203. However, it appears that I cannot restore backups from build 200 if I have build 203 installed. The build 201 description states that "Backups created by this version of AISBackup cannot be opened in previous versions of AISBackup".

Barry B
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi Barry

Compatibility with AISBackup always works like this:

AISBackup can restore from and update backups from a backup created by itself and any prior version. Therefore build 203 can restore and update backups created with build <= 203.

Early versions of AISBackup cannot always restore from or update backups created with a higher version. This is usually owing to a change in the internal database format. AISBackup will display an appropriate message asking for a 'newer' version to be installed.

Version 1.9 added support for UNICODE filenames, this meant changing the structure of the database which previously could only support the ANSI character set.

We always test the ability of new versions of AISBackup to restore from a backup made in May 2000, i.e. 8 months before the first official release of AISBackup.

Barry