FTP in Build 203

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
fg0368

FTP in Build 203

Post by fg0368 »

Thanks for the new 203 release, fixed some of my ftp upload/download pbs.

Just a few questions :

1.) I created an outlook backup job.
Everything goes fine for the backup.

When I try to open job from FTP, I connect & choose the "MSOutlook.job.zip" on the server.

Then the job appears red in the Job window. No options except "Restore from Backup" & "view" in the menu are active (except from, Job, Log, Sessions, Note).

I choose restore All sessions (it has no importance because I only keep the last session).

In the "Select Files to restore Window" I select "Local drive C:" in the left part of the screen.

In "Restore Destination" I leave the settings (Original Paths).

"Duplicate File Action" is Always prompt.

In the "Select Files to replace" Window I chose "Local drive C:" in the left part of the screen.

"Ok" for proceeding.

But then I receive a message :

"Cannot find Zip File C:\AISRSTR\Temp\FTP\MSOutlook_2.asi....Skip /Find /Abort"

(My temporary Workfiles dir is C:\AISRSTR\Temp\ & my backup files are not .zip but .asi)

My default location for Temporary Location for Restored Files is C:\AISRSTR\

The fact is that during this process AISBackup erase the Temp dir from C:\AISRSTR\Temp\ & I don't find any FTP dir on my computer.

So I can only chose "Abort" since I don't have that file on my computer.

Any hint ?

2.) When I "load Job from FTP" there is no other choice than to process or to quit (no "go back" possibility). Am I right ?

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

The session is displayed in red because it is already known to AISBackup. The job could have been selected wither via Select Job button or the Select Job drop-down box. Normally you would only use the load from FTP Server option when the backup is not already known to AISBackup. If you delete the job (Select Job / Manage Backup / Delete Backup Job, delete the local backup but leave the backup on the FTP Server) Then use the Tools / Open Job from FTP Server you are given the opportunity to re-instate the backup, or simply load the backup for restore. The Tools / Load Backup from FTP Server option is useful if you want to restore from a backup on another computer.

I set-up a copy of AISBackup and created an FTP job which uses the extension AIS:

Temporary Workfiles: C:\AISRSTR\Temp\

Set the job to delete local backup

Ran the backup

Used the Tools / Load Job from FTP Server (loaded in red which indicates there is a duplicate jobname already used by AISBackup so the job is opened for restore only).

Restored the files choosing: Original location, Prompt for replace. I chose all jobs should be replaced. The job downloaded and restored successfully.

I couple of problems were encountered:

After loading a job from FTP server the Select Job drop-down box remained disabled, which means that if you changed your mind about restoring from the job you would have to re-start AISBackup.

To aid diagnosing problems the destination of ftp downloads will be displayed.

Please try the restore again but this time just restore one file so that you may copy the Downloading / Preparing and Restored messages from the lower log pane. Unfortunately the messages are not written to a log file when a backup is loaded for restore only. Please also try selecting the job from the drop-down list and restoring the same file.

Another problem, that has been fixed here, is the Right Click / Restore As (or Open With) does not work with FTP backups where the local backup has been deleted.

Barry
fg0368

Post by fg0368 »

Thanks Barry for your answers.

By the way do you recommend any FTP server with which AISBkp perform better yhan with others.

I'm currently using Serv-U (under W2K srv)

Regards
Barry
Site Admin

Which? FTP Server

Post by Barry »

We have not tried all FTP servers, but those we have all work okay.

The only recent problem was with a server that returned an absolute path name rather than the path relative to ftp root, this was fixed in build 203. I guess that most users would prefer to hide the absolute path, except in a private network.

We have tried your own preferred ftp server, Serv-U, using default settings and all works okay.

Barry