DVD-RAM supported?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
JohannesH

DVD-RAM supported?

Post by JohannesH »

Since a few days I have installed the new LG GSA-4081B drive. This is a combo with DVD R(W) (both plus and minus) and also a DVD-RAM drive.

I currently use AIS Backup 1.8.2 and it does not recognize the new drive as a removable DVD-RAM device. Any idea what the problem is?

There is only one drive-letter assigned to the drive by Windows. This letter represents all (CD, DVD and RAM). How can I use this drive with AISBackup to DVD-RAM media.

The only way I found out to make AIS write to the drive is the following: Within Program Options I have to assign the drive-letter from the DVD-RAM drive to CD-R drive setting within Program Options. Also I have to enable Packet-Writing but in reality I have NO Packet-Writing installed. Next when defining the Backup Destination I have to choose "Removable Device" but the DVD-RAM ist NOT offered as a choice (only the "card-reader" is available there). On the next form I overwrite the drive-letter of the Backup Destination with the drive letter of the DVD-RAM drive.

With this procedure I can run one backup to the DVD-RAM. When the job finishes it is not possible to run a second one to the DVD-RAM. At this time the window where I have to confirm the Media does NOT include the DVD-RAM drive as a joice (only the CD Plextor Burner with no media in it is presented there). After closing and restarting AISBackup I can again run one job with DVD-RAM Backup Destination. No good way.

So, how can I use DVD-RAM as my Backup Destination? The AIS dokumentation only says, that if it is possible to copy files to a drive (represented by a drive letter) from within Windows it also should work with AIS Backup. For sure I can simply copy files with Windows-Explorer to the DVD-RAM drive.

At the moment it looks like AIS Backup comes way behind other Backup-Software-Products: No Support for Multisession DVD+RW and now even actual DVD-RAM drives seem not to work?

Will version 1.9 fix this problems?
Other ideas what I am doing wrong or is it simply not supported?

Help is welcome
Thank you and regards
Johannes
Barry
Site Admin

DVD-RAM

Post by Barry »

DVD-RAM is not directly supported by AISBackup but if you are using a third party interface that makes the DVD-RAM look like a disk to Windows then it sould work.

If the DVD-RAM is accessible for read / write through a drive letter then it should work with AISBackup. You may test write and read capability using Notepad.

Barry
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Hi Barry,

thank you for the answer.
Yes, the drive looks like a disk to Windows. It has assigned a drive letter and I can read/write to the DVD-RAM with Windows Explorer and also with any application (open/save).

That means no third party interface is necessary, it is handeled by Windows as a removable device (like a floppy).

Question 1: So, should I use the DVD-RAM from within AISBackup with Backup-Destination "3rd Party Mastering Application", where this simply means a copy of contents of the AIS directory to the DVD-RAM? Or should I use it as a removable device as I described in my original post (with the problem that it only works once, then AISBackup has to be restarted).
Question 2: If I use the "3rd Party ..." method mentioned above then with every additional run of a AISBackup Job to the same media the *.bdb file and some others get overwritten - of course because on a media like a floppy you have no multiple session like on a CD. Is this OK? Will there be any problems if this files always are overwritten?

Thank you
Johannes
Barry
Site Admin

DVD-RAM

Post by Barry »

Hi

Do not use the third party CD mastering option. Does the DVD-RAM appear in the Removable drives list of backup destination?

New Job / Next / Backup to Removable Drive / Next ....

This would be the best option, each DVD-RAM should be given a unique name (Explorer Properties). AISBackup remembers which files are backed up to each media.

Barry
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Hi Barry!

>>>Does the DVD-RAM appear in the Removable drives list of backup destination?<<<

Exactly that is the PROBLEM! It DOES NOT appear in the Removable drives list of AIS Backup destination!!!

But for Windows it is a removable device. Wihtin Explorer it is listed under the header "Removable Devices" along with the Floppy drive, the Plextor CD-Burner and the Card-Reader device.
I think the problem maybe comes from the fact, that this is a combo drive (CD-R(W), DVD+-R(W) and DVD-RAM) and all are referenced by Windows with ONLY ONE drive letter.

What to do best to use the DVD-RAM with AISBackup?

Regards
Johannes
Barry
Site Admin

DVD-RAM support

Post by Barry »

Hi Johannes

As the drive is available to the Operating System and can be used normally via your other programs the packet writing system option should be used. AISBackup does nothing special when a packet writing system is used, it just writes data to the drive and requests a change of disc when full. If the packet writing system is not enabled use the menu option Tools / Program Options and check CD Packet Writing Supported. If AISBackup does not detect a packet writing system either enter the name of the system you know has been installed or just type DVD-RAM. The current version of AISBackup does not recognise Roxio's drag-to-disc, the next version of 1.9 will.

Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Barry
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Hi Barry,

thank you for your help - It works correctly now!

Johannes