best way to backup dev dirs

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
canalrun

best way to backup dev dirs

Post by canalrun »

Hi,
We have two directories (each with many subdirectories) that we would like to back up automatically every night.

We want to do a full backup each night - so if we need to restore a particular date it is simple and fully contained in one backup.

We want to have a history of nightly backups - each separate and named for date it was created.

Yes, this eats backup space, but it allows us to restore a full rebuild for any day.

I like the command line auto mode, but how do I automatically generate a new backup location for each day?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry.
Barry
Site Admin

Auto running a full backup

Post by Barry »

A full backup may be run using the auto run setting Tools / Auto Running AISBackup / Clear Backup Contents File – Backup Everything option, also look at the backup destination deletion options for removing any pre-existing backup.

Please remember that each backup looks like a full backup even though only new and changed files are backed up – AISBackup knows which files constitute the ‘full backup’ from each backup session and also remembers which files were deleted between backup sessions.

Barry
canalrun

Post by canalrun »

Hi,

Thanks. I guess what I am looking for is not a single accumulated backup or a single current full backup, but daily full backups preserved for each day.

Each day will have its own full backup of those two dirs, never being overwritten or updated. At the end of a week, we will copy all the backups from removeable disk to two DVD's to store offsite, then remove the backups from disk.

This creates tons of redundant info, but gives us security, and allows us to go back to any date of our development easily.

I suppose I could run a program that renames the completed backup dir after completion. The next day it would be recreated with a new backup.

Is this automatically available.

Thanks,
Barry.
Barry
Site Admin

Post backup options

Post by Barry »

Hi

There are no rename facilities but there is a post run job option that allows you to write your own program to do whatever you like with the backup. Each time a backup is run a log file which is in the same format as an ini file is created with the backup results, this may be used for ant decision making within your own program. Both Visual Basic and Delphi examples are given in the help text.

See Help / Contents / Technical Information / Developer Information.

Barry