Seting up an incremental backup

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Gary Smith

Seting up an incremental backup

Post by Gary Smith »

I have been using your product for some months and am very pleased with it, but I can't see how to do the following:

I want to first time backup the last 7 days altered files to a ZIP drive. After that I want to put a new zip disk in the drive at irregular intervals of maybe a couple of days or anything upto a couple of weeks and your program backup to it any changes made since the last backup. I don't want to have to remember how many days since I last backed up. I felt sure I could do it, but it keeps wanting to back up everything and given that's about 10gb it doesn't work too well !!! Where am I going wrong, please.

Many thanks,

Gary Smith.
Barry
Site Admin

Incremental Backups

Post by Barry »

Hi Gary

The backup scenario you are describing is how AISBackup works, i.e. AISBackup only backs up changes since the last backup unless the backup is deliberately re-set. You can demonstrate this to yourself by creating a test backup (to local disk) to backup the AISBackup data folder, as files are changed in this folder every time AISBackup is run you can see that AISBackup is only selecting those changed files.

Even if a new zip cartridge is used do not re-set the backup, just make sure that the cartridge is given a different name, e.g. BACK01, BACK02 etc. This is so AISBackup can tell you to load the correct media during a restore.

For AISBackup to select all files either the backup has been reset via the Manage Backup / Reset Backup option or the files have indeed changed.

If this does not help and you would like us to examine your backup job please e-mail the <Jobname>.buz file to us.

Barry