Vaide vs Test

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Barry Bernstein

Vaide vs Test

Post by Barry Bernstein »

Could someone explain the diference between the file test procedure which occurs after a file is backedup and the "Validate" option?
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

The Validate option may be used to re-test a backup if for example the test is not always run after backup or a backup media may have become damaged.

The Manage Backup / Validate (Test) option also checks the actual backup against the backup contents file to look for any inconsistencies which may arise if a backup is aborted part way through.

The Manage Backup / Validate option can also be used to make AISBackup’s out of any other zip files present on the PC, if this is of interest I will post how this can be done.

Barry.
Barry Bernstein

Barry:
If I read you correctly, the "test" and "Validate" functions accomplish the same thing, and there appears to be no need to use the "Validate" option if the the backup job was "completely successful"
Barry
Site Admin

Validate option

Post by Barry »

Hi Barry

The validate option may seem superfluous but we do on occasion request users run this to correct backups that go awry. One of the latest problems was where somebody accidentally deleted the .bdb files, the validate option re-builds these.

But to confirm what you said, the option need not be run on existing completed successfully backup's unless you suspect media damage.

Barry
Barry Bernstein

Barry:
Thanks for the feedback. The last item you mentioned, about the "Validate" option re-building the ".bdb" file cleared up the confusion. I now see the difference between the two functions. Thanks again!

Barry