Crashes When Loading Backup File

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
DWAnderson

Crashes When Loading Backup File

Post by DWAnderson »

When I attempt to Load Job an existing backup job, the program quits. Often I will get fatal exceptions as well. This occurs with all of my backup jobs, all of which involve backing up files from mapped networked drives to a firewire hard drive. What can I do?

I am running version 1.8.2.188 on Windows XP Home with all installed fixes from MS. I had no problems before I installed the current version. I believe I was running 1.8.0 previously.

I have tried: (i) uninstalling reinstalling version 1.8.2; and (ii) uninstalling 1.8.2 and reinstalling 1.8. These are no help.

I can create a new backup job and run that, but if I trying running it again, the same problem occurs.

PLEASE HELP!

The following is the backup log that was generated from the fatal exception, although not from the program just quitting:

11:35:48 PM EXCEPTION Component: TypePanel
11:35:48 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EOutOfResources: The parameter is incorrect.

11:36:23 PM EXCEPTION Component: btnOptions
11:36:23 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EInvalidOperation: Canvas does not allow drawing
. Messages removed

11:36:28 PM EXCEPTION Component: AISPFFindFiles
11:36:28 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EInvalidOperation: Canvas does not allow drawing
11:36:28 PM EXCEPTION Component: AISPFGettingZips
11:36:30 PM SESSEND AISBackup Session Finished: Thursday, September 11, 2003 11:36:30 PM
Last edited by DWAnderson on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Site Admin

Resource issue running AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Hi

This seems to be a resource issue which can affect Windows 98, 98 and ME. The amount of memory reserved by Windows for these resources if fixed on these operating systems, but is dynamic in Windows NT, 2000 & XP. As you are running on Windows XP I would not expect the problem – we will do some more research but meanwhile:

Try closing down some programs prior to running AISBackup, e.g. the AISBackup cue card, outlook (express), IE Explorer. There is a resource monitor which you may use to monitor GDI and System resources with under Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools (You may have to install this from the Windows 98 CD).

Version 1.7 has been put back onto the web-site, please try this version and let us know if the backup is successful:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/build172/aisbi172.exe

If you install 1.7 to a new folder please remember to copy the AISBackup key file over. More than one copy of AISBackup can co-exist and share backups on a PC, only the new functions are not available from older versions of AISBackup.

Please also send us the job files via the Help / Bug Report option so that we can set-up a similar backup here.

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

I haven't had a repeat of the behavior that caused the exception errors above, but I do have the problem of AIS Backup (AB) just ending without any error when I try to do a Load Job. The loan appears to complete and then the termination occurs.

I've done some more experimenting and I suspect that this has something to do with how the network drive mapping functionality of AB is implemented. I've discovered that if I select Modify Files and Folders first and then just click OK to leave the resulting dialog, then the Calculating File Backup proceeds just fine-- and I can even then do a Load Job on that backup set which works just fine. I've noticed that when using this approach there is a reference to the mapping that appears in at the bottom of AB after the initial load of the backup contents file-- which never appears if I just do a Load Job because the program terminates first.

In doing this testing I've made sure to disconnect any mapped network drives before running AB. I'm running AVB v1.8.0, although, as I indicated, I first noticed the problem after upgrading to buld 1.8.2.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what progress you are able to make or if you need help replicating the problems.
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Terminating

Post by Barry »

There may be a corruption in the backup contents file (JOB.BDB) this can be repaired by using the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) backup option. If no backup has ever been made you may use the Manage Backup / Reset Backup Contents file instead. If you would like us to check these files please use the Tools / Bug Report option (Check Attach Job Files) to send them to us.

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

I've sent a bug report with one of the Job files attached.

I also ran a validate on the job (I had to use the workaround I described above to load the job to be in a position to do so) and it reported no errors.
Barry
Site Admin

Bug report

Post by Barry »

Hi

We have not received the bug report yet but please forward the following information so that we can try and mirror your backup:

What is te local operating system (On PC running AISBackup)?

What is the remote system?

Is the remote share password protected?

What is the remote share name, and destination folder?

Are all files from the root of the remote share been backed up or just one or two sub-folders?

If the remote drives are manually mapped prior to AISBackup running does AISBackup work?

Is the destination also a network drive?

Does AISBackup work correctly for your non-network backups?

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

Thanks for your diligence in following up.

Here are the answers to your questions:

What is te local operating system (On PC running AISBackup)? WINDOWS XP HOME.

What is the remote system? WINDOWS XP PRO.

Is the remote share password protected? NO.

What is the remote share name, and destination folder? REMOTE SHARE NAMES are BACKUP and MUSIC on remote computer named LEORA, which have been mapped to drives J and K respectively by AIS Backup. All files in these shares are backed up to I:\Backed\Shared Media on an attached USB 2.0 drive.

Are all files from the root of the remote share been backed up or just one or two sub-folders? ALL THE FILES IN THE ABOVE-BAMED SHARED FOLDERS ARE BEING BACKED UP, BUT THESE ARE NOT ALL THE FILES ON THE REMOTE PC.

If the remote drives are manually mapped prior to AISBackup running does AISBackup work? YES (Interesting!)

Is the destination also a network drive? THE DESTINATION IS A USB 2.0 DRIVE ATTACHED TO THE LOCAL COMPUTER ON WHICH AIS BACKUP IS RUNNING.

Does AISBackup work correctly for your non-network backups? I DON'T DO ANY BACKUPS WITH EXCLUSIVELY LOCAL FILES, BUT WHEN I CREATED ONE TO TEST THIS IS WORKS FINE. ANOTHER BACKUP SET THAT REFERENCES LOCAL FILES (AS WELL AS FILES ON A REMOTE COMPUTER) DISPLAYS THE SAME PROBLEMS I HAVE DESCRIBED.
Barry
Site Admin

Network Backup problem

Post by Barry »

A backup from Windows 2000 from Server 2000 works okay. A backup of the same (exactly the same backup job) fails exactly as you have reported, i.e. AISBackup is zapped from memory. There is a Microsoft Network connection API that is causing this problem in Windows XP home we have not tested with Windows XP Pro yet.

As the fault lies with the connection API (WNetAddConnection2) the pre-mapping of the drives at least provides a short term work around.

We'll keep you posted, at least at last we are able to duplicate the problem.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

A solution: please test.

Post by Barry »

We have found a possible solution to this problem but we would like you to run a small test first.

Map any drive from any computer so that there is at least 1 mapped network drive, this does not have to be a drive that is to be backed up.

Run the backup.

Did the backup work? If so I guess we have found the problem and will upload the fix in the next couple of days.

AISBackup seemed to only malfunction when backing up from Windows XP, we tried ME, 98, 2000 and XP in these tests.

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

Thanks for the follow up. I did what you suggested and the backup set did load properly.
Barry
Site Admin

Network backup fixed

Post by Barry »

Hi

An updated version of AISBackup has been uploaded to:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

This version does not require that any network drive is pre-mapped. Other improvements include different logon name and password may be supplied for the remote disk resources.

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

Thanks. That appears to have solved my problem.