new user questions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
ctny

new user questions

Post by ctny »

I just download version 1.8.1, as a new user, I have a few questions...

1) test read backup files option:

which temp dir does it use for scratch space and how much space do I need. If I am backing up 10gb with max-precompress-size at 600mb, do I just need 600mb or 10gb of scratch for this test?

it seems that "test read" takes longer than the actual backup. is this normal?

2) huge file size option:

can you explain why you guys didn't just use zip format's built-in feature that can split a large file across multiple zip files? since you use zip, it seems you are duplicating a feature...

3) prune zip files option:

when deleting a file from a zip archive, is the process actually unzip to a temp area, remove the unwanted files, then rezip? or there is a way to delete files without unzipping?

how does this work with the "backup to ftp" option? do you ftp the original zip back to the pc, delete the unwanted files, then ftp the new zip with the same name to the ftp server?

4) backup to ftp server:

I am thinking about setting up a linux box to do this, so I am not sure how this feature works yet... If I don't delete the local copy, will I have a local and a remote backup then or is the local copy just a temp staging area? will the local and remote always be identical, or only the local zips will be pruned, etc.

5) auto backup

I chose "execute when the pc is started" then looked in MS Scheduler. Then task got scheduled to current time, instead of whenever I boot the PC. This option is kinda confusing.

what is "auto running asibackup" vs "auto run this backup job"?

thanks for the help!!

Clayton
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

1: test read backup files option:

AISBackup does not use additional disk space for this option, it checks the files via system memory.

2: huge file size option:

The zip spilt is designed for removable media like floppy diskettes. CD’s are not treated the same way as diskettes by the Windows operating system. We also wanted to split huge files to reduce recovery times if part of the file failed the restore test.

3: Pruning:

Zip files are not unzipped but copied to a new file minus the files to be removed. The original file is then removed and the new file renamed, this ensures that no data is lost if the PC crashes during the prune operation. It is therefore true that free space of the largest zip file been pruned is required.

4: backup to ftp server:

AISBackup downloads the files to be pruned and then uploads them, this is why by default we limit the size of each zip file to 1MB of uncompressed data or 1 file if larger.

5: auto backup:

i/ execute when the pc is started

This option is faulty and will be fixed soon. A work around is to use the Manage Backup / Create Shortcut option.

ii/ auto running AISBackup" vs "auto run this backup job"?

There is not a lot of difference now, the tools / auto running option gives more options, the auto run this job was added because we used to get a lot of questions about auto running AISBackup.

Barry