Password protection non-functional in version 1.8.

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
luminous

Password protection non-functional in version 1.8.1.186

Post by luminous »

Hi

I have just downloaded your program and have started to experiment with the different options it offers.

I created a backkup of My Documents folder and password protected it in 2 different ways (1 script was used with a non encrypted password, the other script used an encrypted password)

The backup jobs were run with no errors being reported.

At this point I re-inserted the CD from my first backup and navigated to the zip files directly using windows explorer. I then double clicked on the zip files and was able to freely browse and extract my documents without having to enter a password.

I was able to repeat this with the encrypted backup set.

I have reported this as a bug an am just wanting to know if anyone else is having these issues, and if they managed to get around the problem
Barry
Site Admin

Password protection

Post by Barry »

Hi

I just ran the same with a backup to disk using the password test using both encrypted and non-encrypted passwords. I opened the zip file using WinZip and each file entry was displayed with the + which indicates the file is password protected. I applied the password test to both zip files and as expected the password did not work with the encrypted file.

For the tests I used both the New Job and Quick Job options.

Please forward the job files by using the Manage Backup / Bug Report option, this may help us solve the mystery.

Has anybody else noticed a similar problem?

Barry
luminous

All Fixed

Post by luminous »

I have subsequently chatted to a mate about the issues that I was experiencing and he informed me of a limitation of the Zip format.

It appears that even a password protected archive can be viewed using Windows XP's built in Zip handling support (or other software).

The fact that the files were password protected did not initially show up when using Windows XP. I was able to browse through my entire directly structure revealing all my filenames that I had saved to the CD.

It was only when actually attempting to open or copy the documents that the password was requested.

The fact that I was able to extract the files (per my initial claim) was down to my own ineptitude by selecting the files from the wrong archive (an archive that was identical to the one that i was testing but with no password protection - this was the first archive that I had made using AIS b4 realising that I could password protect it). :oops:

Sorry if that has caused any problems, but while we are still on the subject is there a way that AIS could incorporate something into the software that stops you for reading what is inside a zip archive?

A rival piece of software (Handy Backup) has the option to encrpyt the zip files it makes using the blowfish method. This prevents not only access to the files, but also your directory structure, totally maintaining your privacy.