Preparing CDRW disks before backup

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

Preparing CDRW disks before backup

Post by Hughg »

Barry -- Is there a way of preparing CDRW disks for AISBackup's internal CD writer before starting a backup? I'm trying to avoid the situation in which a disk that hasn't been written to before by the internal writer, when it's inserted during a backup, causes the Roxio Project Selector to pop up, and then after AISBackup has written to the disk you have to do the manual reinsert of the disk which sometimes goes wrong (not often, just sometimes). It'd also be nice to be able to erase disks from older backups ahead of time, so that they're ready for use by AISBackup. Can that be done?

Cheers
Hugh
Barry
Site Admin

Erase CD-RW

Post by Barry »

Hi

We have been asked for this a few times, perhaps we should add a 'Tools / Erase Re-writable CD' option?

There will still be a problem with previous 'Packet Writing' CD's as Roxio and Ahead take ownership of these CD's when they are inserted. We can erase them but it is possible that the PC will need to be re-booted after an 'Erase' session.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

Yes, I think a "Tools / Erase Rewritable CD" option would be very useful -- you've got my vote there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the problem of Roxio and Ahead taking ownership. It'd be useful to have a warning in the Erase dialog that it might be necessary to reboot after an "Erase" session if the disk had previously been formatted by another packet writer, but I don't think that would be a particularly big deal, for two reasons. First, you're doing the erase session outside a backup session, which is when you're most on edge, worrying about something going wrong and having to re-do the backup; erasing some disks and then rebooting doesn't sound too bad to me. Second, I'm guessing that it won't be necessary to reboot after you've erased CDRWs that were last written to by AISBackup's CD writer. Is that right?

Hugh
Barry
Site Admin

Erase CD-RW

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

No, you will not have to re-boot after erasing AISBackup CD's. Ejecting ex-packet written CD's directly with INCD, DirectCD, Direct to CD etc should also work, i.e. re-load the last eraseed CD then eject it using the packet writing software.

Barry