Windows XP Pro User Registry

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Andyzzz

Windows XP Pro User Registry

Post by Andyzzz »

Hello

I have a problem with backing up the user registry on win XP pro. I have used AISbackup 1.7.2 and 1.8 with the same results. The user registry files stored under documents and settings\user name, documents and settings\local service and documents and settings\network service are never backed up.

I have included the relevant section of the backup log below:

22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Admin\ntuser.dat
22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT
22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
22:30:13 ERR Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT
22:30:13 INF Creating Backup File: F:\Backup\Registry\Registry_59.zip
22:30:13 REG Preparing Registry Files
22:30:43 REG Finished Registry Backup
22:30:51 NOTE 6 Files could not be backed up
A full restore using this session may not be safe

This happens whether I select the whole c: drive for backup or auto select the registry files, or manually seect the registry files. The other system section of the registry is backup correctly. Do you have any ideas why this may be?

On a slightly different subject I have a problem with the record speed of my CD writer AIS shows a maximum speed of 32x, but the writer is capable of 52x. 52x is reported in other applications, is this a fixed maximum within AIS or should I be able to recored at 52x? :!:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Registry backup

Post by Barry »

The way in which the open parts of the registry are detected is not working on your PC for some reason. This section has been redesigned and will be released soon.

You will probably find that the User parts of the registry have been backed up even though they have been reported as failed, please confirm this.

The 52X speed question will be answered as soon as we have run some tests.

Barry
Andyzzz

Post by Andyzzz »

Hello Barry,

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the .zip files made during the backup of the registry, but the files listed as not backup in my original post are NOT in the zip files. The NTuser.Dat and usrclass.dat of users not logged on are backup but not of the current user and services. :(

For your reference (sorry, should have told you last time) my Recorder is an LG.

Regards,

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Missing User Registry

Post by Barry »

Hi

Did you check if the files were backed up using the restore option of AISBackup? An updated version of AISBackup has been uploaded which should fix this problem. Right Click / Export end e-mail us the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\hivelist

If the file is opened in Notepad it should look something like this:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\hivelist]
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\HARDWARE"=""
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SECURITY"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Config\\SECURITY"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SOFTWARE"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Config\\SOFTWARE"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SYSTEM"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Config\\SYSTEM"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\.DEFAULT"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Config\\DEFAULT"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SAM"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Config\\SAM"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-20"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\NetworkService\\ntuser.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-20_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\NetworkService\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-19"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\LocalService\\ntuser.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-19_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\LocalService\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-21-2052111302-1957994488-839522115-1004"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\Barry\\ntuser.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-21-2052111302-1957994488-839522115-1004_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Documents and Settings\\Barry\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"
The only other reason I can thing that the Registry is not backed up is you are not logged on as a System Administrator or access has been denied to these files from account that you are using.

Barry
Andyzzz

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

I have downloaded and installed AIS 1.8.1. But, it dosen't help either of the problems I have reported. :(

The user registry is still not backup correctly. I did restore the files from a backup and those that are reported as not backup are not restored. I have Administrator rights on this machine with this account. It is on a Win 2000 Domain, so have logged on to this mahine as the Network Administrator, and onto the local machine (not Domain) as local Administrator. In both cases I had the same results, the user that did not backup changed (as it is always the logged on user) but the localservice and networkservice sections were not backed up.

The CD drive still reports a maximum speed of 32x. When I first used the new software version it did for a very short time (to short to select) list 48x and 52x speeds, but the list then shortened down to 32x maximum and has not shown any speed above this since.

I have included the registry key you requested below. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\hivelist]
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\HARDWARE"=""
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SECURITY"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\SECURITY"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SOFTWARE"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\software"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SYSTEM"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\system"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\.DEFAULT"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\default"
"\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SAM"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\SAM"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-20"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\NetworkService\\NTUSER.DAT"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-20_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\NetworkService\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-19"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\LocalService\\NTUSER.DAT"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-19_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\LocalService\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-21-1177238915-1788223648-1801674531-1113"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\Andy Admin\\ntuser.dat"
"\\REGISTRY\\USER\\S-1-5-21-1177238915-1788223648-1801674531-1113_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1\\Documents and Settings\\Andy Admin\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"

Barry
Site Admin

CD Writer Speed and Registry backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Andy

CD Writer Speed.

The delay answering the CD writer speed question was because the fastest CD writer we had at the time was 48X. Today a 52/24/52 AOpen CRW5224 was delivered (£30 UK). The writer came with a 52X rated CD-R and AISBackup correctly identified the 52X speed. A couple of Discplanet CD-R were also tried and these were written at 52X.

AISBackup obtains the maximum write speed directly from the drive and then iterates through setting the speed from the highest speed and checking the actual speed set by the drive. Not all media can be written at the highest speeds. So for example, we set 52 then read the actual speed that could be set, if this is 16 then the highest speed displayed is 16.

Registry Backup.

We have ascertained that you can backup the registry using the Tools / Backup Registry option, this uses the same routine as the normal registry backup option. Please create the following backup job for a test:

Use the Auto Select feature to select the Windows Operating system, WINNT and the registry from Documents and Settings should be selected, including the NTUser.dat files which are not backing up.

De-Select WinNT and just select C:\WINNT\System32\Config instead. This is to select just the registry files (to save time).

Select Debug mode (Press * until *** All Debug Mode *** is displayed on the AISBackup caption bar).

Click Load Job to re-calculate the backup (extra information is written to the log file).

Run the backup and then use the Tools / Bug Report option, attach the job files and send us the e-mail.

If this does not help we will add additional trace information to AISBackup.

Barry
Andyzzz

Bug Report

Post by Andyzzz »

Barry I have sent the bug report that you requested last week. Has this helped any?

Regards,

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Registry Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Andy

The Advanced Server 2000 registry backup has been tested and works okay here. Given that the Tools / Backup Registry option works can you re-try just backing up the Registry via the normal backup options (Select Auto-Select Windows then de-select everything in C:\WINDOWS (or C:\WINNT) except C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG The User.dat files etc files should remain selected from Documents and Settings.

Are you backing up a remote 2000 Domain Registry from Windows XP? That does not work with AISBackup (not yet anyway - we are also working on Active Directory & Certificates backup and restore).

Barry
Andyzzz

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

I have carried out the backup you specified. The user registry files are not backed up, but are OK if Tools/ Backup is selected.

No, I am not backing up a Win 2000 Domain controller. I am backing up locally (AISbackup is installed on the XP system) a Windows XP Pro machine onto a CD writer in the same XP system. This machine is part of a windows 2000 Active directory domain.

The documents and settings directory is set up as part of a roaming profile and so is replicated to the windows 2000 server on shutdown. I don't know if this is relevant or not. Just trying to help.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

XP and 2000 Roaming User Workstation Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Andy

Thanks for the extra information about the Roaming User profile. As you know when this scheme is used the profile is downloaded from the 'profile share' of the domain controller (as set-up in the Active Directory).

We did overlook this and are running some tests - although the first test did backup the user registry okay.

If you log on to the PC as the local Administrator rather than logging on as a Domain user then the backup should work okay, please let us know.

Barry
Andyzzz

Win Xp User Registry

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

I have tried backing up the c:\ drive as the local admin, but I have the same problem the user registry files are not backed up :cry:

Sorry, I took so long to reply I have been away for a few days.

Any other ideas?

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Registry Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi

We have tested XP Pro using both roaming and mandatory user profiles and AISBackup backed up the registry okay. Some extra trace information will be added to a version of AISBackup for you to run which should work okay. Prior to doing this can you check that the Administrator has rights to backup the failing user registries, the reason I ask this is because User Administrator does not automatically have permission to read user profiles on the server itself, Administrator can, however, give itself permission to read (and therefore backup) the profile files. You may have to turn on traditional Windows share access via Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View / uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. There are other security features in Windows XP that may prevent the backup of these registry files. The extra trace information we add should detect any permission problems.

Barry[/b]
Andyzzz

File permissions

Post by Andyzzz »

Hello Barry,

I have checked the files that fail to back up and they have the same permissions as those that do back up correctly. I am backing up on the XP workstation machine the user profiles on it. It is always the logged on user profile that fails to back up along with the 'network serivce' and 'local service' user registry sections. The logged on user has full rights to his own profile, all the other users are backup correctly unless I am logged on as one of those users in which case my normal user profile is backed up correctly. If it was a permissions problem wouldn't the tools/Backup registry option also fail? As this still works correctly at present and is the method I am using to keep up to date with my backups.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Andy
Andyzzz

Progress?

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

Just wondered if you had any more ideas / suggestions to help with my user registry problem?

Thanks

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Registry backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Andy

We need to put some special trace messages into a test version of AISBackup for this problem. AISBackup uses most of the same routines for backing up the registry via a Job or via Tools / Backup Registry, this is what is puzzling us at the moment. I will e-mail you when the test version of AISBackup is ready.

Meanwhile, can you set-up a small job that only backs up the User Registry files anjd send us the logs and job files via the Help / Bug Report option please.

Barry