Restoring Windows XP OS

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Andyzzz

Restoring Windows XP OS

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

I have a problem with many things, but the thing that I would like you to shed some light on is this:

I had to restore windows XP Professional from backups made with AISbackup 1.7.0.172. I Re-installed XP to have a basic working system, then re-installed AISBAckup. I have then selected the most recent backup of my c drive (complete) for restoration. All the files have been restored without errors to the 'Windows_AIS' directory. I have restarted my PC and selected recovery console, logged on to the Windows_AIS installation with my old administrator password. Now the problem!

On typing 'Batch AISRestore' I have the following errors:

'The SET command is currently disabled. The SET command is an optional Recovery Console command that can only be enabled using the security configuration and analysis snap-in.'

Then several 'Access Denied' errors.

By looking at the contents of the batch file I can see the 'access denied' errors are due to the renaming of files that are not allowed as the 'SET' Allpaths has not been carried out.

I would like to know can I correct the problem by editing the registry in recovery console? I can run my basic XP setup used to run AISBackup, and run the security and configuration snap in. But, it is the temporary Windows_AIS that needs the change making to it's registry isn't it? :cry:

Any help you could give would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Barry
Site Admin

Restring Windows XP and 2000 using Recovery Console

Post by Barry »

Hi

You must not log onto WINDOWS_AIS but the corresponding previous version of Windows. AISBackup prepares the old version of Windows to update the restored version. The appropriate environment for restore has been enabled in the previous version of Windows.

Please let us know if this works okay.

Barry
Andyzzz

All is Well

Post by Andyzzz »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, after following the instructions correctly the backup completed correctly and all is now well. :oops:

Thanks for the help!