'Ask' style backup is not compatible with un-atten

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jstrong

'Ask' style backup is not compatible with un-attended auto r

Post by jstrong »

I have recently changed my backup routines so thjat I am backing up *from* a network drive (aon an Apple Mac) to the host PC.

It worked fine as a test (scheduled using the Windows XP Scheduler), but I got this message below last night.

Is it because the Mac has gone to sleep?

Thanks

Jim

23:50:06 SSTART Backup Session Auto Run: Started on 25 July 2003 at 23:50:06
23:50:06 PARS Run Time Parameters: YYYYYYY
23:50:06 ERR 'Ask' style backup is not compatible with un-attended auto running
23:50:06 SESSEND Backup Session Aborted: One or more network drives are inaccessible
Barry
Site Admin

Auto-run error

Post by Barry »

I am pretty sure that this error has been fixed in version 1.8 of AISBackup, if not please send us the job files uing the Help / Bug Report option.

Thanks for pointing out that Apple Mac's can be backed up over a network :-) Which interface are you using on the Mac?

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

I've witheld posting on this topic while I get things sorted out:-

1) It is definitely possible to backup from an Apple Mac, using AISBackup on the PC and defining the Apple Mac as a network drive. I've done this successfully, but:-

2) I think I may have some permissions problems when trying to do scheduled running and

3) I *may* still have a problem with the Mac going to sleep, despite upgrading to 1.8.

I'll play a bit more an then post results!

---------------------------------------------------

Also, 1.8 crashes when I select "Load Script" - not always, but usually at the start of a session. Should I have removed 1.7 first? I installed over the top.

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup 'Ask' message when auto-running.

Post by Barry »

Install over the top is okay.

What kind of backup job is AISBackup crashing with? Have you got an error message?

The Ask message should not be displayed unless it is an Ask style backup job, if AISBackup is displaying the 'Ask' message we need to fix it.

Are you using the current build of 1.8 (182)?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Ask option

Post by Barry »

Is it possible that the auto-run job is using an earlier version of AISBackup?

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Well - some progress on the scheduled backup front; I do think it was to do with permissions on the MS Scheduler as well as the Mac going to sleep and the network dropping the connection:-

I have now definitely got the auto-run running when the Mac is awake and have re-set the Mac "sleep" parameters to keep it awake tonight and we'll see how we get on with the main backup!

Reading the Mac manual, it does seem that it must be kept awake for it to remain on the network.

With regard to the "Load" crashing the progam, I will use the Help/Bug Report and send it in, although it happens so quickly (just like hitting "Exit") and no error message comes up.

Thanks a lot

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

A little off-topic but ......

Post by Barry »

After examining the backup job TEST2 I noticed that the destination backup files have no file extension. Unfortunately this causes AISBackup to ask for the location of the files at restore time. This has been fixed locally and we will upload the program after running some more tests (a few days). The fix will append the default file extension when the next backup is run.

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Ooops - I think that's just unfamiliarity from me! I should have added the ".zip" extension, do you mean?

Once I'd got AISBackup running well, I've not looked at it for ages - and by then had forgotten some of the procedures I'd gone through.

I still had to kick off the main backup manually last night, incidentally - this time the PC had dropped the connection and required a password to re-connect!! We'll get there, though.

Jim