CD backup error warning

Post by milan »

Hello.

AIS Version 1.7.0.170 / PlexWriter and NERO

I always get and error message when backing up to CD as below

"Does not appear to have been created correctly chose:

Retry to check the CD Again"

A retry gives the same result.

However, files appear to have been backed up OK. They are on the CD and if unzipped appear to be all there and OK

Any comments - Checking is a bit of a bind and can be very time consuming if a lot of files are involved.
Jeff
Barry
Site Admin

CD not written?

Post by Barry »

We see this problem on Windows ME, but not all the time and not every system either. The latest version of our CD writer interface was supposed to have corrected this problem and it appears to have, well sort of.

When AISBackup reads CD's it uses the bog standard Windows interface, it has nothing to do with any CD Writer interface. The problem appears to be getting Windows to 'see' the CD. If necessary AISBackup opens then closes the CD drawer, this does not always work. Version 1.8 of AISBackup then opens the drawer once more and asks the User to manually re-cycle the CD, on manually pushing the CD drawer shut Windows does recognise the CD and continues. Interestingly if the backup is multi-CD the subsequent CD's are created and tested without human intervention, although the CD drawer has to be opened and closed by AISBackup.

Were you testing each zip file manually using a third party zip product? An easier solution would be to use the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option. To get AISBackup up-to-date using the new CD you may have to use the Manage Backup / Import Backup Contents File before the validate option.

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

A solution!

Post by Barry »

There is a way to get AISBackup working on Windows ME without the manual CD re-cycle.

There is a file called C:\Windows\System\WNASPI32.DLL, this file is occasionally replaced with a ‘better’ version by some CD writer applications. I tried the original Widows ME version of WNASPI32.DLL with AISBackup and this works okay, however, the automated re-cycle is still performed.

Rather than replace the ‘better’ version of WNASPI32.DLL with the original Windows version restore the original version directly to the AISBackup program folder. AISBackup always looks in its own folder before going to the Windows\System folder.

WNASPI32.DLL can be found in the following CAB file:

C:\Windows\Option\Install\Win16.cab if not look on the Windows ME installation CD.

Open the cab file using a product like WinZip then drag and drop the file directly to the AISBackup program folder, if you do not know where the AISBackup program folder is use the Help / About option.

IMPORTANT

If you are running a dual-boot system with Windows NT, 2000 or XP and you are sharing the same AISBackup installation the Windows ME version of WNASPI32.DLL will cause AISBackup to fail, you will have to re-install AISBackup on Windows XP to its own folder. The AISBackup database files may still be shared between Windows ME and XP etc.

Barry
milan

Post by milan »

Hello

Many thanks for very quick reply

I found WNASP132.DLL. It had been replaced by NERO.

Copied it to AIS folder and all backups now appear to work correctly complete with a back up check.

Thanks again

Jeff
Jeff