Backing up to Sony Power Burn CRX175A

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
tomfosret

Post by tomfosret »

Unable to backup directly to CD using Roxio 6 without backup failing all ZIP tests. Have tried Imation CD-R, CD-RW disk. Using Memorex CD-RW yields same results. Can back up to my second hard drive without problems.
Barry
Site Admin

Roxio problems

Post by Barry »

Are you using DirectCD or Easy CD Creator? Have you tried the integrated AISBackup CD writer? Have you created and tested other data CD’s using Easy CD Creator?

Have you tried formatting a CD for use with DirectCD?

I notice that you have upgraded from AISBackup version 1.7 to 1.8, version 1.8 may be able to work better with your CD writer, use the Tools / Program Options / Integrated CD writer Check option if AISBackup had not previously recognised your drive.

You probably already know but, AISBackup’s integrated writer requires blank CD’s (pre-used CD-RW may be erased directly from the load media form) and DirectCD needs pre-formatted CD’s.

Barry
tomfosret

Re: Roxio problems

Post by tomfosret »

Barry wrote:Are you using DirectCD or Easy CD Creator? Have you tried the integrated AISBackup CD writer? Have you created and tested other data CD’s using Easy CD Creator?

Have you tried formatting a CD for use with DirectCD?

I notice that you have upgraded from AISBackup version 1.7 to 1.8, version 1.8 may be able to work better with your CD writer, use the Tools / Program Options / Integrated CD writer Check option if AISBackup had not previously recognised your drive.

You probably already know but, AISBackup’s integrated writer requires blank CD’s (pre-used CD-RW may be erased directly from the load media form) and DirectCD needs pre-formatted CD’s.

Barry
tomfosret

No Backup

Post by tomfosret »

Thanks for your suggestions but nothing works. Program options only allows me to select 'CD Packet Writing supported' and when I go to backup it backs up the CD but when it runs the 'Test', most of the tests fail. It say's that the ZIPs can't be read. Oh, I'm using formatted CDs which are formatted in Direct CD.

tomfosret
Barry
Site Admin

Failure to write to CD / DVD: VIA chipset options

Post by Barry »

A Pioneer DVR-106D was installed in a test PC running Windows XP today. Initial tests using DVD+RW failed when writing data to DVD using DirectCD. When DMA was set no file could be read from the DVD either, when running in PIO mode 10,709 files backed up okay but there were 1,242 failures highlighted during the test phase. Clearly PIO mode works better than DMA mode, but not well enough.

The PC is an AMD 1GHz in a Chaintech 7AJA2/100 Motherboard, which uses the VIA KT133A chipset.

Version v4.48 of VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers were downloaded and installed from:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

The transfer mode was set back to DMA as this gives the best throughput when things are working properly.

A backup was made of 62,914 files of 6,799MB that used 3,718 MB on 1 DVD+RW there were no errors. The DVD was ejected and re-loaded and the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) backup option run, this too was 100 % successful.

If you think you may need updated VIA drivers please read the web-page instructions before installation.

Barry
tomfosret

Not Applicable

Post by tomfosret »

My system is Windows ME, Roxio 5.3.5, Sony CRX175A CD Writer so don't think your answer helped me at all. My original indicated that I was using Roxio 6, sorry.
Barry
Site Admin

VIA revisited and possible solution to integrated CD writer.

Post by Barry »

If your PC is using the VIA chipset it is worth trying the VIA 4 in 1 drivers mentioned in the previous post. To check this:
  • Control Panel
    System
    Hard disk controllers
If you see the entry VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller then the PC does use the VIA chipset.

The integrated AISBackup CD writer may be made to work by installing the original Windows ASPI driver to the AISBackup program folder:

WNASPI32.DLL can be found in the following CAB file:

C:\Windows\Option\Install\Win16.cab if not look on the Windows ME installation CD.

Open the cab file using a product like WinZip then drag and drop the file directly to the AISBackup program folder, if you do not know where the AISBackup program folder is use the Help / About option.

Barry
tomfosret

Post by tomfosret »

Thanks Barry for your suggestion- I did put WNASPI32.dll into the AIS Backup folder and since that didn't help, put the file into the dll folder. No luck and no change. tomfosret
Barry
Site Admin

CD writer

Post by Barry »

Can you try backing up to disk and then using the Manage Backup / Copy to CD option to copy this backup to CD using Easy CD Creator? You may use a CD-RW as this is a test.

If you need step-by-step instuctions see here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/CopyCDOwnW.htm

Barry
tomfosret

No Backup

Post by tomfosret »

Thanks again but that didn't work either.

tomfosret
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Didn't work as in:

The CD was created but could not be read?

The Copy to CD option was not available?

The Copy to CD option did not prepare the folders ready for transfer to CD?

Easy CD Creator failed?

Barry
tomfosret

No Backup to Disk

Post by tomfosret »

Barry -- What I do is create the job and save it to the C drive. Following the Copy Backup to CD instructions, I load the job and then select Manage Backup/Copy to CD. Enter the Volume Prefix and All CD select/OK
then insert a blank CD and set the Speed/OK. The indicated screen AISBACKUP: Load Backup Media does not come up. It goes back to the first Dialog Box and tells me to load job again and if I do, I go through the same routine!

tomfosret
tomfosret

Still Does Not Work

Post by tomfosret »

I assume that you have not other suggestions so will just have to give up backing up to the CD Burner!
Barry
Site Admin

CD Burner Problem

Post by Barry »

I have not given up.

Can you test a drag and drop copy to a 'DirectCD' CD and then test the CD to make sure the copy worked okay? You could use zip files from a disk based backup for the test, the files can be tested with the 'Test' function of WinZip.

Can you also copy the same data to CD using Easy CD Creator and test the integrity of the data. Basically I want AISBackup out of the picture for these tests.

A CD-RW may be used.

Did you find out which chip-set your PC uses?

Barry
tomfosret

Answers to querie

Post by tomfosret »

Barry.

My system uses the VIA chipset and and I tried copying the file "WNASPI32.DLL" to the AISBackup DLL Folder.

Have always been able to burn disks using Direct CD to format the disk and then dragging and dropping. Can also copy CD-R disks and burn CD-R disks using Easy CD Creator. These disks have always worked fine. Also, made an Emergency Disk following the instructions. First, I backed up the local drive to my second hard drive and then dragged the files to Easy CD creator and burned the disk. That worked when I checked it out. Should say that I first made the disk bootable.

Tks again