DVD+R Support

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
DWAnderson

DVD+R Support

Post by DWAnderson »

Can I use AISBackup to backup to DVD+R (specificly using the HP 200j DVD+RW)?
Last edited by DWAnderson on Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Site Admin

DVD+RW Support

Post by Barry »

DVD+RW may be used by using a third party packet writing system like INCD, B’sClip, or DirectCD. Your DVD writer probably came with one of these interfaces.

A packet writing interface makes the DVD+RW look like a regular disk to the Windows operating system.

AISBackup supports disk spanning with DVD+RW.

Barry
DWAnderson

Post by DWAnderson »

I had asked specifically about DVD+R. Does your reply apply to both DVD+R and DVD+RW media? Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup to DVD

Post by Barry »

Sorry I didn’t answer the question asked, perhaps I should become a politician?

I need to do some research, meanwhile if you can use a packet writing system with DVD+R the answer is yes. AISBackup can backup to any drive that looks like a disk to Windows.

I will get back to you about the suitability of the AISBackup integrated CD/DVD writer as I need to do some research.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

CD and DVD options

Post by Barry »

Here is a link to te supported CD and DVD options.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/CDDVDOptions.htm

The DVD interface is been re-written to enable more efficient disc use meanwhile we recommend that a packet writing system is used.

Roxio DirectCD (A.K.A. Drag-to-Disc) supports write once media, INCD does not support write once media. Write once DVD media cannot be read on PC's which do not have DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc) installed.

Barry
stepremy

DVD + R

Post by stepremy »

I have always of course enjoyed absolutely no problems with CD-r and CD = RW. However, it seems to me that the ability of the program to work with my HP 300i drive (only +R and +RW for the DVD and normal CD R/RW of course) has been worse since somewhere around version 2.0. I don't know beyond that. I used to back up and get a warning about not being able to do multiple sessions with dvd + R but now often the write fails and asks to retry. It also does similar things with dvd + RW but with a lot less frquency. I recently backed up about 80 GB of space and used DVD + RW and + R for the first 30 disks. About 40 percent of the + R failed and about 5-10 percent of the DVD + RW failed with the integrated writer. I used the third party with some success for the + R, the RECORDNOW and only failed 1 of 3 disks but still doesn't seem practical for + r. I had not previous to now used the third party writing and so I was disappointed that especially some of the DVD + RW disks were unusable after they failed (they are still relatively expensive). I have had the drive and this program for probably 2 years and it seems although more fully featured like the auto jobs I can run to write to hard disk that the DVD support is less troublefree. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll look back at some of the file dates but I know I Have some of the original HP DVD+RW disks that I have used with data from a ways back. So I guess unless I hear differenly I will use only the third party writing for DVD's. That is very slow......
Steve Presotn - Austin, TX USA
Barry
Site Admin

Burning DVD problems

Post by Barry »

There may be problems burning DVD if the integrated writer is used when Windows XP is upgraded to SP2. To fix this see here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/FAQASPI.htm

To burn DVD successfully you should also set the drive to use DMA where possible. Research has shown that excessive disc errors may cause the drive to be set permanently to PIO mode, to check this use look here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/How_to_SetorRemoveDMAXP.htm

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/How_to_ForceDMA.htm

It is also possible that you drive needs a firmware upgrade, some older drives do need upgrades to be able to use today’s faster media, albeit at a slower write speed. Try looking on the disc writer manufacturer’s web site or a Google search for “DriveModelNumber firmware download”. Remember to follow firmware upgrade instructions carefully.

There may also be a fault on the drive itself, if possible borrow another drive to try.

The bottom line is, unless the media is faulty, AISBackup and third party disc burning software should have a very high success rate. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of variables that can upset this percentage.

Barry
stepremy

Is the advise the same for Windows 2000 Professional SP4?

Post by stepremy »

Barry,

I did set the drives to DMA. I also recently cleaned the lens with a good quality DVD cleaning disk. I will check on the other items. Please advise any differences of last post for win2k.
Thanks, Steve
Steve Presotn - Austin, TX USA