Backup run from Icon using same name for new CD

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
murph

Backup run from Icon using same name for new CD

Post by murph »

Hi,

We had an email correspondence about this a while back and, having only recently setup backup on my new PC (big, brave gap...) I've just filled my first CD and now I've got two called DAILY301 :(

I think I can see what's happening.

1 Start backup from shortcut on desktop created by AISBackup (1.7).
2 Loads backup and calcs required space.
3 Decides that there's not enough room for everything so it ejects the CD and demands a blank one.
4 To which it then writes the files that would fit on the original CD - and names it as the original CD.
5 After which it prompts for a blank CD again.
6 And writes the remainder of the files

This is a nuisance - although at least as I'm only 1 CD in it won't be too much of a pain to nuke the whole lot and start again.

Murph
Barry
Site Admin

Duplicate CD Names

Post by Barry »

Hi

I could not get AISBackup to create a CD with a duplicate name but I did identify a problem where if all the backup zip files created for the remaining space on the CD are of a greater size than the remaining space the backup did not proceed correctly.

This has been corrected in the beta version:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

If you still have DAILY301 can you try the following using 1.7:

Start AISBackup, delete the script then Tools / Load Script From Backup Media.

Load and reinstate the backup.

Turn on CD Debug mode by pressing * until CD Debug Mode is displayed on the AISBackup caption.

Load the Script and run the backup. AISBackup will display the CD Used / Free and Stage usage values. Can you send the logs and job files to us using the Help / Bug Report / Attach Script Files option.

Will you then install 1.8 (If you install this to a different folder you must copy (not move) AISBackup.key from the previous AISBackup folder), create a desktop icon and run the backup as normal. Did this work okay? If not please delete and re-instate from CD1 and then run the backup with a blank CD in place rather than the Daily301 CD, this should work okay and the log files will contain enough information for us to duplicate the backup here. (Help / Bug Report / Attach Job Files option).

Please note from version 1.8 AISBackup uses the terminology Backup Job instead of Backup Script.

Barry
murph

Post by murph »

Ok, getting to debug mode was interesting - it rotated through the options rather fast.

The attempt to run from the restored backup to the existing CD failed. Not sure why (ah, just found a large thumbprint, will try again).
murph

Post by murph »

Ok, the latest build (as of "now") is installed, I've reset the backup to start again and will now run it from my desktop again every day. After the first go there's about 200mb free so it'll be a few days before we find out what happens next :)

Depending, of course, on how many things I realise that I ought to include that I haven't (yet) and equally that I do include that I shouldn't - I need to have yet another weekly review task for that...

Murph
murph

Post by murph »

A result!

1.8 has rolled over from one disk to the next perfectly at least once (if not twice, given that I'm now on 03).

Hopefully it will roll smoothly onwarad although naturally as soon as I posted the stuff and get it working I got a loan of a laptop that I'm using rather more than my desktop so am not changing anywhere near as many files on a daily basis. Fortunately (?) I am going to start backing up said laptop as well so should be able to establish that it works!
murph

Post by murph »

rude words

I've just been done again (although less horribly).

Kick off backup from shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" DAILY

Let it do its stuff, apparently too much for the current CD (04) so it ejects and prompts for new blank CD. Insert blank CD fine - I think - 'til I note that it still thinks its writing to 04 (this being a new blank CD).

Having written a small amount of data it then ejects the blank CD (in effect 04a) and prompts for another blank CD which it duly labels as 05.

This was with Version: 1.8.0.179

The logic and sequencing for prompting for new CDs when run from a shortcut is still not quite right :(
Barry
Site Admin

Icon backup: Wrong CD Name

Post by Barry »

Sorry for the delay answering this, I hope you are still in a position to answer the following questions:

How much free space is on the CD prior to AISBackup asking for a replacement?

How many and what size are the files written to the wrongly labelled CD?

As an interim fix you can import the backup contents file from the old last CD and then load a blank CD instead of the ‘old last CD’ when prompted.

I would like to mirror your backup as closely as possible because we were sure this problem had been correctly identified and fixed.

Thanks

Barry
murph

Post by murph »

Don't worry about the delay, there was a huge lag between posts in my case!

Anyhow, this gets more interesting by the minute:

I'm not sure how much free space was on the original CD (04) but its now showing 128mb used and 0 free. Oh dear, all on the same date, this is not good as it actually contains rather more than that - or at least it should do (it seems to be missing the files that pre-ceed that last date). There's a huge gap in the .zip file numbers from disk 03 to disk 04.

The new one has backup (.zip) files totalling about 17mb

I'd love to say it was me doing something stupid, but I can't think what.[/i]