AIS Backup Is Ejecting the CD Immediately!

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
dgstev

AIS Backup Is Ejecting the CD Immediately!

Post by dgstev »

I have a new installation of Win XP Pro. I have a backup CD made with AID backup when I was running Win 98 SE. I am running a new download of AIS on a trial basis.

AIS can import the backup catalogue., and it lets me select which files to restore. But when it starts to restore, it immediately ejects the CD, and then complains that the CD is not there. If I reinsert the CD, is just ejects it again. I have not been able to do a restore with AIS.

Also, AIS tells me the backup includes files in a folder that I want to restore. AIS can see this folder, and the files in it. But when I access the zip file using Win XP, it cannot see this folder. If I restore all files using Win XP, the desired folder is not included in the restore.

I copied all the files on the CD to a temporary folder on the hard drive, and then back on a fresh CD. AIS still ejects that CD as soon as it starts the restore activity. It will read the CD to get the *.bdb file, but it refuses to restore the files.

I will appreciate any advice. Thanks. :wink:
Barry
Site Admin

CD Restore problem

Post by Barry »

AISBackup will eject CD’s if it does not think it is part of the backup, i.e. the CD name is not recognised. AISBackup will also eject CD's it cannot read, and XP cannot read CD's created with a packet writing system without a third party software solution (one of which is free :-)).

Here are a couple of solutions, the first will get your files restored as long as you can read the contents of the CD. Please note that if you cannot read any of the zip files on the CD under Windows XP none of these solutions will work.

If the backup was made using a packet writing system (INCD or DirectCD etc) you must install the same under Windows XP. Note that old versions of this software do not work on Windows XP you must purchase an upgrade. An alternative is to download a free UDF reader, which can read CD’s created with a packet writing system. See UDF Volume Reader towards the end of this page http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/so ... esv4.jhtml

If possible, in future use the AISBackup integrated CD writer as this created CD’s that can be read on virtually any CD-ROM, even under DOS.

Solution 1: Converting the backup to a disk based backup.

Copy the contents of the CD or CDs to a folder on disk (e.g. G:\Temp)

Create a new script (job) and use the Base on this script (job) option, choose the CD backup script (job). Click Next.

Choose A Hard Drive for the destination. Next.

Enter a name and select any one of the disk based backup files as the destination. On this PC I moved a CD based backup to G:\Test, the Backup Destination now reads: G:\Test\Source CDM.zip. Click Next

If there was a password re-enter the same password, and choose Encrypt if the password was encrypted. Click Next

Click No to Do you want to review…

Click OK (not Run)

Choose the menu item Manage Backup / Import Backup Contents File, locate the <script>.bdb file from the disk based backup destination.

Solution 2, correcting the CD name.

If the CD name changed AISBackup will eject the CD. If the CD name changed you can correct this as follows:

1/ Load the Script.

2/ Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup

3/ Un-check test read.... (makes the job quicker)

4/ Load Backup Files.

5/ Select one of the backup zip files.

6/ Repeat for each CD.

7/ Next

To the You have not loaded…. Prompt (if shown) click OK.

De-Select all CD’s shown (you have already introduced the CD’s with the correct name)

Click Next

The backup is now ready for restore.

Which version of AISBackup are you using?

Barry