copying files from server will it over write them?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
yester18

copying files from server will it over write them?

Post by yester18 »

Hello again was wondering, after i copy files from my server to my pc to them get burned to dvd the next time it will run will it over right the files automatically or do i have to check soemthing for it to over write the same file.

John
John
Barry
Site Admin

Copying backup files

Post by Barry »

If you use AISBackup to manage the copying of files it will only copy new files to CD. No files are replaced accept for the <backup job name>.bdb and <backup job name>.buz files.

Each time a backup is run it creates new zip files for changed and new files. Where a limited session style backup is used (e.g retain 1 session) the chabged zip files are not copied to CD but the Backup Contents File does make note of the files you are no longer interested in.

We are looking at a new method of backing up following a previous message from you:

We are either going to create Server module that takes care of the physical backup / restore functions where the client just uploads / downloads files according to instructions from the server. The server and not the clients will dictate the backup media.

An easier solution is to backup the clients from the server, this will back up most files but not opened exclusive files or Registry files. To get around the Registry and some opened exclusive files we could implement a method where we ask the client to try and make available the files we want to backup, e.g. ask the client PC to backup and make available the Registry or 'Backup and give me the Outlook.pst files'.

Both of these options require a lot of thought and preparation, so therefore a lot of time to prepare.

Barry
yester18

Post by yester18 »

Okay just to make sure i am understanding all this correctly, just as a scenerio i would liek to try, if i would have these scripts run everyday. ex monday night all the scripts run and then tuesday and so on then basically i come to monday of the next week and burn the backup will there be more and more files or they would all be the same only if they changed the reason i am asking and sorry to sound confusing but will each day add more space to my harddrive, like adding more files the more space is taken up. kind of what i also want to use this for is like a tape backup that is done every night on a tape drive, but they are unreliable. if this idea can be implamented in such a way then i will try it. i'm sorry if i lost you trying to explain what i would liek to do. but just want to get the point straight across as best as i can. John
John