where did AISB get this folder name?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jlittle

where did AISB get this folder name?

Post by jlittle »

Hi Barry.
I hope you're doing well. I have a weird question for you!
I was backing up my wife's laptop prior to upgrading from Win8.1 Home to Win10 Home. As you can see in the first picture, I was backing up the folder E:\Pictures to an external drive. As you can also see in the same picture, there is no folder called E:\Photos.
first.jpg
first.jpg (202.91 KiB) Viewed 45245 times
But in the second picture, you can see the backup in progress and the folder being backed up is supposedly E:\Photos. You can also see in that picture that the subfolder being backed up at that moment is E:\Photos\cell phone pics. And if you look to the right you can actually see that folder (cell phone pics), except that it's actually in folder E:\Pictures, not E:\Photos.

The backup seems to have been done perfectly, with all the correct subfolders of E:\Pictures being included. So where did AISB get that folder name Photos? Have you gotten the program so far advanced that it knows synonyms? :)

The complete version number is 6.0.0.505.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Attachments
second.jpg
second.jpg (202.63 KiB) Viewed 45245 times
John
Barry
Site Admin

Re: where did AISB get this folder name?

Post by Barry »

In 22 years of AISBackup this has never been reported before, and to be honest I never noticed that the select files for backup uses the 'display name' of a folder (by design) but the actual backup phase uses the real name of the folder (oops). Using the real name of the folder for the backup is a good thing as the display name is held in a file called desktop.ini within that folder.

I did an experiment by setting the display name of my photograph folder called 'e:\BMP' to 'e:\Photographs', this is done by making a hidden file called desktop.ini within e:\BMP (In fact I copied the version of this file from the desktop (c:\users\barry\desktop\desktop.ini) to e:\BMP and then edited it, the file contents after the edit is:

Code: Select all

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=Photographs
[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Generic
The Restore From Backup option displays the 'Display Name', but sorts the folder names in 'real name' order, d'oh!

If you are not showing hidden files then you may type 'e:\Pictures\Desktop.ini' (or 'e:\Photos\Desktop.ini') in File Explorer then press [ENTER] to open the file.

Desktop.ini also holds which icon to show for the folder so your file will have more data within it.

Barry.
jlittle

Re: where did AISB get this folder name?

Post by jlittle »

Thanks for the help. Glad I could provide you with something new. :)
John