logo logo
 The time in Wales is 24 November 2017 23:55:06

www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP Retrieve Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ais@rkelly.me.uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: FTP Retrieve Errors Reply with quote

AISBackup 4.2.419
Have had to switch one backup to FTP due to port blocking imposed by my company. Am backing up to a Zyxel NSA325v2, which has pureftp as the service. It hangs regularly during the backup - specifically when retrieving files, so I have switched the FTP server to proftpd. With this service a backup completes no problems, but any retrieval (for example retrieving the job file) stalls.
Turning on FTP debug shows a RETR request sent and two 150 responses in the same packet from pureftp:
150-Accepted data connection
150 5077.7 kbytes to download

From proftpd I get a singe 150:
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for......

However in either case the retrieval never starts. I am fairly sure the problem is not with the FTP server (now) as a simple GET of the same file from the windows ftp client works no problem.

I guess the question is, does AISBackup look for something very specific prior to initiating the retrieval of data?
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: FTP retrieve problem Reply with quote

Have you tried with / without 'passive mode'?

Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings

It may also be worth checking that the latest firmware is installed on the Zyxel. I have been using an older Zyxel (NSA320) for several years for a few daily backups without problem.

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried both PASV and standard mode with no difference...
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: FTP retrieve problem Reply with quote

Have you got SSL encryption enabled? if so try without as a test.

Is this backup over a WAN or LAN?

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSL not enabled. Backup over LAN. I can send packet traces if it helps...
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: FTP retrieve problem Reply with quote

There is of course a possibility that there is a problem in AISBackup despite the FTP interface has been used regularly by several of our customers for many years. The log file may be useful so please send a copy to customerservices@aiscl.co.uk

As you mentioned port blocking, it may be useful to check that ports 20 and 21 are both open for TCP/IP connections on your private network (assuming the PC in question belongs to the private network). Maybe you could temporarily disable your firewall and re-test?

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to borrow another laptop and install AISBackup on it, and that works just fine. It looks like you are entirely correct and it is a firewall issue - I can't work out what though, so will have to take it up with IT next time I am over there. Thanks.

Interesting discussion here: http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd/doc/misc/ftp_and_firewalls.html

includes the comment: If you can login to an FTP server, but your directory listings and data transfers time-out you most likely have a firewall in the way. - whuich is exactly my problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: