logo logo
 The time in Wales is 24 November 2017 23:47:13

www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring Windows 2008 R2 to a blank disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmeyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Restoring Windows 2008 R2 to a blank disk Reply with quote

I tried to restore Windows 2008 R2. I first tried to install Windows 2008 R2 server and restore over the active installation. Unfortunately, to server did not boot after the restore.

The problem is related to the 100MB Sytem reserved partition: on the old disk it was present, but it was missing on the new install.

I also tried to restore to the blank disk with the Restore CD, but I was confused about how to create the system reserved partition, because the AISBackup restore CD didn't let me create a partition that is not linked to a drive letter.

What is the recommended way to partition a blank drive in a way to end up with a System Reserved partition and a OS partition ?
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Boot files Reply with quote

Was the boot partition backed up on the old disk or have you still got access to the old disk? This could be from another Server 2008, indeed the boot files from Windows 7 or 8 may work. It may also be possible to extract the boot files from Server 2008 on the 'C' drive to itself (by copying to the correct place and then using AISBackup to make the boot work) - I will try this here first if you like.

Barry
lmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did:

1. Clean install of Server 2008 R2 (with disk controller driver)
    2. Restore the partition C: from the backup using AISBackup restore CD. Imporrtant: keep the boot folder and files.

It worked perfectly. Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Restore Reply with quote

I am please to hear that this worked out.

I am still going to look into repairing or making the boot files in the 'C' drive if the boot partition is missing or is corrupt.

Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: