logo logo
 The time in Wales is 22 April 2018 18:51:07

www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparation for Windows 8.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicolas Forwood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Preparation for Windows 8.1 Reply with quote

Good day

Iím making preparations to install Windows 8.1 on my desktop and last night I made a successful complete C:\ backup with AISBackup to my external USB HD and was able to boot from it. The C:\ is a SATA 240 GB HD and includes XP Home plus various other utilities. I also have two other HD on this desktop and both are IDE, D:\ 80GB and E:\ 40GB

I would like to install the Windows 8.1 on the SATA C:\ so I wonder if itís possible to do a restore from my external USB HD to D:\. I know that I can select on the restore a different location like D:\ but I donít know if AISRestore will also change all XP references from C:\ to D:\.

Perhaps it is better to do a new backup from C:\ directly to D:\ but then again would the Restore change all XP references from C:\ to D:\ ? Is this a better option?

Or you may have a better way.

I want to keep my XP Home, service pack3 intact because if I donít like Windows 8.1 then I can use my XP

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Restoring Windows XP to make a dual boot PC Reply with quote

n Windows since 95, 98 and ME drive letters are logical and not fixed as they used to be. If you restore Windows XP to the D: drive and view the drive from Windows 8.1 it will be seen as the ĎD:í drive. However it you then set-up a dual boot system to boot into Windows XP the Windows XP partition will be the C: drive and the Windows 8.1 drive will be some other drive letter (probably it then will be the D: drive).

Barry
Nicolas Forwood

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Barry for the help

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.aiscl.co.uk Forum Index -> AISBackup Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: